When I Grow Up…

I am obsessed with dance movies because I’ve always wanted to dance.  This is how I justify the fact that I went to see Step Up: 3D in theaters.

The truth is, there is a lot I wish I’d gotten a chance to do with my life.  Dancing is one of those things.

Acting is another.

[Left: You are a dedicated father who, with your wife, has just sat down to dinner with your 15-year-old daughter, who is defiantly announcing that she’s pregnant. Center: You are a fashion designer on the morning of your big runway show, realizing that nothing in the collection is ready or fabulous. Right: You are a blustering, pompous member of the British Parliament, giving a speech that is being broadcast on the BBC, and you’re thrilled at the sound of your own voice. Source]

When I was a freshman in high school, I tried out for a play. I didn’t make it halfway through my monologue before my brain started reminding me that I have incredibly low self-esteem and I am at a new school. That was it for acting for me, except when I was debating and cross-examining people in the courtroom. (Mock trial, of course.) Now that I have the self-confidence and the “I only live once, so why not?” attitude, I don’t have the time.

Reality bites, and so does being an adult at times.

Then there’s the fact that I love to talk and I love reading out loud.  When I was in high school, I used to sit at my desk as if I was a news anchor and read out from my text books as if I was reading the news. So, yeah, news anchor/reporter is on my list as well.

I was talking to a friend of mine in radio the other week, and this is a conversation I’ve had with Andrew countless times: I would be great on the radio IF I had the patience to follow celebrity lives. I can’t stand it. I don’t keep up with celebrity gossip, and I certainly couldn’t do it as my job. [Which is why I never apply for writing jobs on websites that’d require me to care.]

Why is life so hard?

Though the path I’m taking is something that involves one of my many passions, which is communications and social media. Oh hi, in case you didn’t notice, I LOVE Social Media. Love.

I just wish I could do that with a little acting on the side. I’d even be OK with the only professional dancing I do being for a role. Two mythical birds, one stone [of denial].

Maybe I’ll start my own show on BlogTalk radio.

Not.

Notice how singing isn’t even on the list. Even I’m not that delusional.

What do you really want to be when you grow up?

[Want to promote your blog/biz/Etsy and give back to charity at the same time? Details here.]

• eemusings March 17, 2011, 8:17 am

What makes you think radio = caring about celebrities? Well, I guess if you wanted to be a host on a popular kind of station, but there are other options.

If I could sing and had charisma and was better at guitar….a rockstar.

More creative…a graphic/web designer.

Or somehow work in the music industry.

• Berrak March 17, 2011, 12:42 pm

Well, that was the specific conversation I had (about celebrities).

What do you do now?

• Meg March 17, 2011, 12:14 pm

Don’t give up your dream of acting if it is something you really want to do. There are heaps of amateur theatre groups as well as Improv groups. I do Improv here in Hamburg with an English speaking theatre group & it really is one of the highlights of my week. It’s so freeing just to feel the fear but do it anyway – and Improv people are just really awesome people.

When I want to grow up I really want to be a forensic scientist, particularly in the field of forensic anthropology. When I graduated from university in 2000 I looked at studying in the US but as an international student, I just can’t afford the ridiculously expensive fees. So instead I work in IT.

• Berrak March 17, 2011, 12:44 pm

I’ve thought about improv and I might still do it. It does sound like a lot of fun.

Do you like working in IT?

Science was my worse subject my entire life but forensics is another one of those things that I am really interested in, along with criminology. I think I just want to do way too much, haha.

• WashingTina March 17, 2011, 2:41 pm

There’s tons of acting and/or dancing you can do! I spent the better part of 8 years doing acting stuff in D.C. It’s a great city for it (tons of classes, community theater, etc.). Don’t sell yourself short or give up on it…it’s fun, and doesn’t HAVE to take up too much time!

• Berrak March 17, 2011, 10:21 pm

I’ll look into them if you promise me to come support me when I do improv, lol

• Brett Kunsch March 17, 2011, 2:48 pm

When I was talking to a mentor about running more so I could train for a 5k, while also expressing my desire to improve my public speaking, I said…I just don’t have the time.

Then he asked me matter-of-factly:
    “Do you REALLY not have the time? Or is that just a way to make your ego feel better?”

Sucker punch.

At first my reaction was anger. How dare he judge me! But then I saw the question more as an opportunity than as a threat. What if I really did have the time? How cool would that be? When I got down to business and cut out the “fat” of my lifestyle, I found that I had a good chunk of change left over to do the things I’d been waiting for. The things I wanted had to become habitual for them to stick.

The answer to your question: A leader. I’m still recruiting the tribe.

• Berrak March 17, 2011, 10:21 pm

Nice! You’d make a great leader.

• Cassie13 March 17, 2011, 2:52 pm

I want to be WONDERWOMAN, DAMMIT!!!!!!!

*pout*

I wanted to be a truck driver when I was a kid….an 18wheelinmama!!!!!! OR a Computer engineer

• Berrak March 17, 2011, 10:21 pm

You ARE Wonderwoman! LOL

• Hope March 17, 2011, 3:22 pm

I want to be a rock star. I’m trying, but it’s probably not going to happen. :p

Someone at a party once told me that I should have been a dancer. I have crazy turnout and high arches. I think I missed that train by about 20-25 years.

• Berrak March 17, 2011, 10:22 pm

Just keep dancing 😉

• magnolia March 18, 2011, 3:54 am

i want to be a rock star, the kind that makes enough money to be comfortable by playing small theaters and clubs. i’m the frontwoman, clearly, with a kick-ass alt-country/alt-rock band behind me. well, except when i’m the girl singer in a synth-pop duo with a techno-boy backing me up.

god, i wish that was possible.

• Storm. Katrina Storm. March 20, 2011, 3:13 pm

I always wanted to be a dancer, but I’m a klutz. I wanted to be a singer, but my voice isn’t that great… I love karaoke, though, and I will murder your favorite song every weekend. 🙂

Writing is, and always has been, the only thing I’ve ever been good at, so that’s why I chose it as a career. I like it (I don’t love it like I do singing, but I pick my battles) and it pays my bills (sometimes). Can’t argue with that.

• Anonymous March 22, 2011, 4:23 am

You know you aren’t done growing up yet. So you aren’t a professional dancer, you should take a class and dance just for the fun of it.