[Jobs] The Ritual

It’s a ritual.

First, check e-mail for any replies from the previous inquiries. Check voicemail, just in case your phone is malfunctioning and you actually have 5 instead of 0. Curse yourself for getting your hopes up.  Get back on the computer and click on the first bookmarked site.

Scroll down until you see a link you’ve already clicked on and move forward from there.  Click on every listing. Read through. Twice. Check out the company to get as many details as you can.

Move your mouse over to the document that is always open on your computer to customize it for every listing. Details are important. Re-read the cover letter 3 times before saving it.  Switch over to your browser & click on your e-mail. Do a search in your sent messages to make sure you haven’t applied to this one before. (Sometimes, they re-list).

“Compose message”

Compose, attach, sign, send.

Rinse, lather, repeat 3 times a day.

Then go socialize at a networking event with the hopes of meeting someone who can at least give you a lead, or simply emphatize.

Job hunting is a full-time job. I did it for a full year while I was at a job that I hated.  It’s painfully frustrating, and in this economy, sometimes impossible to cope with on a daily basis when the e-mails you send seem to disappear without reaching the recipient.

A couple of weeks ago, while stressing about money, I thought I would get back to my ritual.  Maybe I was wrong about this whole freelancing/school/interning deal. I wasn’t built for not working full-time. It’s all I know how to do so I went back to my ritual.

There were tons of jobs out there. I clicked on a link for an executive assistant position and went to work on my cover letter. A sinking feeling took over me and I had a small anxiety attack.  The idea of going back to a life where I had a 9-5 that I hated simply because it paid wasn’t something I could accept.

Then I got mad at myself for being selfish. Who was I to scoff at a 9-5 when there are people out there performing the same ritual?

And then I remembered I do have a full-time job: To take the chance I’ve been given and make the most of it.

I started on this path knowing it would be difficult.

I haven’t forgotten what it’s like to not get out of bed in the morning to go to a job I loathed.

I just have a new ritual.

DC Job Sources:

Craig’s List

Media Bistro

Journalism Jobs

DC Public Affairs & Communications Jobs

Washington Post

• OneBlondeGirl October 14, 2010, 6:53 am

Best of luck to you. Of course you know that I know how frustrating, aggravating and frightening job searching/embarking on a new adventure can be. Keep your head up. I’ve always believed it is better to be happy with what you’re doing rather than miserable just to earn a paycheck. Quality of life is everything and happiness is worth more than money. Good luck.

• Gypsy Soul October 14, 2010, 12:30 pm

So… I just quit my job that I loathed a week ago as well. I’m taking some time for me, spending time with the family, getting my life back into some symblance of order (working odd retail hours = nothing ever getting done) and finishing up some online schooling so I can move in a different direction. I know how you feel. I wake with anxiety, thinking I should be getting ready to go to work, or feeling like I’ve forgotten something very important. It’s hard to untrain yourself. Best of luck to you love.

• Katelynn October 14, 2010, 5:23 pm

Totally different topic sorry.. how do I get a blog like this started? I miss getting feedback on my writings… Notes on Facebook doesn’t get me that.

As for job searches.. don’t apply for the jobs you know you won’t want.. you really don’t want to start resenting yourself for working a job you hate.. I’ve done it.. it’s not fun.. I always feel obligated to stay way too long after I start hating myself..

• dmbosstone October 14, 2010, 5:27 pm

It’s not an easy job to find a job but I’m glad you have a routine with it- it helps keep you motivated knowing you are working to get somewhere and not sitting on your couch!

Also use LinkedIn is pretty good too.

• dmbosstone October 14, 2010, 5:28 pm

Meant to saying using LinkedIn…

• Erin B. Inspired October 15, 2010, 2:45 pm

I’m at a job now that I waited YEARS for, literally. In the mean time I worked a job that was terrible on my whole being. When I finally got “the” job I was so excited and enthusiastic.

Now that it’s been a while, I’m starting to dislike it immensely. It’s not a bad job by any means, but I can’t bare the thought of sitting behind a computer in a stuffy office working for the “man” much longer.

In about a week and a half, I’m going to approach my old boss (who is also my uncle) and ask for my old job back, the job that I left because it was so terrible when really, it’s the best job I’ve ever had. And I’m nervous to leave the job I currently have but so excited to (hopefully) be doing something with meaning, socialization, and benefits aside from healthcare.