The Corner Store

[Source: Flickr]

I was out of milk this morning and instead of taking the bus to Safeway, I decided to wait until my corner store opened up to walk over and grab it.  After all, it’s only a 5 minute walk.

Growing up in Turkey, I would wake up every morning to walk over to the bakery for bread fresh out of the oven every morning for breakfast.  If I didn’t want to walk up to the bakery, I could stop in at one of the 5 corner stores in the three block radius from our apartment.  As I walked in, the clerk would wrap up my bread in my daily newspaper and ask me if I needed anything else.

Big dinner party? No need to fill up your freezer for days.  Walk over to your neighborhood butcher the morning of your party for fresh meats, whether it’s chicken or ground beef…maybe some lamb chops.

That was the beauty of living in the city when I was growing up. The familiar streets and faces, having everything within walking distance and being able to get all the necessities just walking down the block.  One stop at the bakery, lingering for a bit to take in the delicious scent of fresh bread.  Next up, the pharmacy to pick up your prescription before you get back to your house.

Living in the U.S. for the 15 years has been a little difficult for me at times. I’m a city girl so living in the suburbs for 15 years when I barely knew any of my neighbors, and having to get in my car and drive to the store just to pick up some milk or bread.

I love living in D.C.

I love my neighborhood and no matter how much people rush past me, I still make an effort to smile at strangers walking down the street. I love watching my ‘hood transform on a daily basis and even though I could be living in an area that isn’t ‘transitional’, I enjoy being a part of the changing city.

Growing up, my parents and I used to drive in to the city every weekend, but mostly it was to Georgetown.  I spent my first year out of the house rediscovering myself.  This past summer, it’s been my goal to rediscover my city.  I’ve walked from H Street NE to the 9:30 Club. I’ve walked around Chinatown, AdMo, Atlas District and the Capitol. I’ve rediscovered Georgetown as an adult, taking in the buildings and the waterfront on a different level.

This city is beautiful to me, with everything from its people to its corner stores.

Istanbul will always be where I left my heart but D.C. is my second home, no matter how far I may travel, I will always get pulled back to here.

• Suburban Sweetheart August 31, 2010, 11:34 am

I wish I felt this way about DC. I wish it could be home. I wish I didn’t feel like Ohio was weighing on me…

• PrincessQ August 31, 2010, 11:48 am

It took me a very long time to feel like this. Maybe it’s because I lived in the suburbs and worked in the city for 7 years or maybe it’s just how it’s meant to be. I doubt I’ll feel like this about any other city though.

I hope you find happiness in Ohio and everything works out for the best.

• Cassie August 31, 2010, 12:53 pm

And I am just the opposite…I COULD walk to the store, but it wouldn’t be worth it.

I love living so far out the city lights don’t even shine….nothing but the stars, crickets and frogs….

• PrincessQ August 31, 2010, 2:43 pm

I could use that as a get-away but I need the noise of the city to sleep 😉

• Liebchen August 31, 2010, 1:34 pm

I feel the same way about DC. Even when I’m in a lazy mood and don’t feel like walking, I appreciate the fact that I can – and get just about anywhere. Even when I lived out in NOVA, I would sometimes walk home from Dupont or Georgetown. It was a few miles, but totally worth it.

• PrincessQ August 31, 2010, 2:36 pm

Yeah, I agree.

As much as I am starting to appreciate certain parts of VA (Shh, don’t tell the Boy), I won’t change my mind about living in the city.

• Lauren August 31, 2010, 2:09 pm

I need to see DC soon. I’ve never been. 🙂

• PrincessQ August 31, 2010, 2:37 pm

Definitely!

• Chrissa August 31, 2010, 2:43 pm

This is the very reason that I don’t ever want to live far from the city.

PS-What I think of the banner is irrelevant as long as you like it 🙂

• PrincessQ August 31, 2010, 2:44 pm

Cop-out! I’m working on improving my graphic design, using the colors, etc…so I would love to know what you think (But you can shoot me a FB message)

• Mindy August 31, 2010, 3:30 pm

And this is why I wish I lived in a bigger city, or even back in my college town…

• PrincessQ August 31, 2010, 7:43 pm

I love the city.

• [F]oxymoron September 1, 2010, 9:28 am

I’ve lived all over the place, and I heart DC more than any other place I’ve lived – as an adult. And while I might take some extended trips here and there, I have no intention of permanently moving away from DC.

• PrincessQ September 1, 2010, 9:38 am

I feel the same way, which is why we’re planning to buy a house. I want to live in a couple of other places but want my home to be right here in DC.