≑ Menu

Stepping Out to nGage

First of all, if you missed yesterday’s post, check it out here (It’s pretty awesome and positive)

You might not guess it but I’m pretty shy.

Stop laughing.

OK, seriously, stop.

Let me explain.

I cannot approach people IN PERSON. Online? Sure. I’ll find something in common with them but in a room full of people, it’s usually hard for me to go up to someone and say “Hi, my name is Jordan” because I usually say my ‘real’ name which causes people to do a double-take and go “What?” which makes me even more nervous.

And when I get nervous, I babble. A lot. And I hate babbling, so it’s easier not to approach people but then people think I’m a b*tch because I seem stand-offish.

My life is clearly very complicated.

The thing is, when I do open up and make a connection with someone, even if it’s just for two minutes, it changes my attitude and I seem more approachable and the rest of the event is a breeze.

This kind of attitude makes it difficult for me to make the leap, step out of my comfort zone and go to events where I don’t know anyone, except from Twitter, especially if a group has hung out before.

Last night, I stepped out and stepped into a world of laughter, inspiration and positivity.

If you’ve never been to an nGage event, I encourage you to check them out and attend the next one. I met some amazing people last night, including (finally) Ms. Rasberry AKA Paparazzi, Jaguar Princess, Ms. Parker (and her lovely mom) and of course, C-Natra who finally inducted me into his #TweetPack.Β  I met a lot of other people and it was interesting to have people go “DCPrincess? Oh yeah, I know you.” (Excuse me?) but I forget the impact of Retweets on Twitter and how social I am on there.
I hope that I was just as social and warm once I finally got over my self-doubt.

(I still haven’t gotten the hang of exchanging business cards or talking about work.)

Stepping out is good for me.Β  I’m going to keep doing it, even if I find myself drowning in self-doubt because nothing like taking a risk to liven me up.

But y’all better believe me when I say I’m shy. I mean it.

Stop laughing.

So what are YOU going to do to step out of your comfort zone today? This weekend? This week? This month?

I am looking forward to a weekend of being at the beach with one of my best friends and enjoying the sun and being disconnected from the world.

Do one thing that makes you smile and don’t forget to smile at a stranger. Trust me, it’ll be appreciated whether they realize it or not.

• Emily Jane July 23, 2010, 9:34 am

YAY!! I love this post! My 26 Before 26 this year is ALL about doing everything that scares me and it’s an emotional ride but the payoff is incredible! I am so excited for you doing this. “Stepping out is good for me. I’m going to keep doing it, even if I find myself drowning in self-doubt because nothing like taking a risk to liven me up.” Brilliant. πŸ™‚

• PrincessQ July 23, 2010, 9:46 am

It really is an emotional roller coaster but one that leaves you feeling amazing at the end!

Yay for you too πŸ™‚

• OneBlondeGirl July 23, 2010, 9:57 am

Very inspiring. I can be a social scaredy-cat as well (especially in my current state of down-in-the-dumps) but I find that once I get over that initial hump, I love socializing even though, 9 times out of 10 I have to literally force myself to do it. Today my goal is to apply to at least two jobs and on Saturday I’m attending a party in DC (although, that’s not so much stepping out of my comfort zone as it is me finally getting out of the house). Have a great time at the beach.

• PrincessQ July 23, 2010, 10:06 am

That’s exactly why I’ve been forcing myself to get out and talk about it on twitter so I’m accountable to actually show up.

I understand the mindset all too well.

I need to meet you, like soon πŸ™‚

• moooooog35 July 23, 2010, 3:17 pm

“Do one thing every day that scares you” is not Eleanor Roosevelt’s quote.

Pretty sure that’s Matthew Broderick describing his sex life.

• PrincessQ July 23, 2010, 3:33 pm

He has a sex life?

• Cassie July 23, 2010, 3:43 pm

*shudder*

• Cassie July 23, 2010, 3:24 pm

I’m gonna work on my speech impediment…..hehehehehehehehehe

nothing…I’m not going to do anything to leave my comfort zone…I like it here….

• PrincessQ July 23, 2010, 3:33 pm

IT’S NOT A SPEECH IMPEDIMENT!

Also, your comfort zone is awesome πŸ™‚

• spleeness July 23, 2010, 3:28 pm

I’m shy too. I’ll talk with people but I also struggle with self-doubt and shyness. Where does this come from? Maybe we’re worried people are judging us. I know I’m too busy worrying about me to even think about being critical of another person, I should just realize most others are this way too. sigh. All in good time, right? πŸ˜‰

• PrincessQ July 23, 2010, 3:34 pm

πŸ™‚

You’ll get there because you are awesome!

• David July 23, 2010, 6:26 pm

Good energy.
    Thanks. When my cold is gone, I’m gonna make it a better w0rld.