≑ Menu

Despicable Me, Unicorns, Minions and Smart Phones

I’m a kid at heart. I love watching movies like ‘Happy Feet’ and ‘Madagascar’, giggling at stupid jokes and squeeing over the cuteness that are the characters in those movies.

So when I saw a trailer for Despicable Me, I KNEW I had to see it. There was no doubt in my mind.

1) There were the MINIONS.

2) A little girl going “It’s so FLUFFY. I’m gonna DIE”

Obviously I squealed with joy everytime I saw the trailers and really hoped that the movie would NOT disappoint.

Tuesday night, the Boy and I headed over to Chinatown for a 9:30 showing. After we grabbed our dinner (the new Angus Mini-hotdogs. YUMMY), we took our seats and the one of us immediately had to go to the bathroom. *cough*

Enjoying movies like this, I of course also love the previews.

During the previews, there was also an announcement to download the Best Buy Movie App for a special treat during the credits after the movie. The Boy immediately made me download it.

“Do it!”

“OK. Shh.”

“Doooooooo it.”

*glare in the dark*

When you download the app, it tells you to turn your phone on silence, and that it will notify you via vibration when it’s time to use the app and then DIMS THE SCREEN. *win*

So the movie began, and I was immediately in love. The 3-D wasn’t overly in your face, the graphics were awesome and the characters were really well developed.

The minions were the cutest!

It was decided immediately that I am, without a doubt, Agnes. (IT’S SO FLUFFY) and the Boy is a mix between Gru and the Minions. (If you’ve met him, you’ll understand).

While funny and cute, the movie had a heart-warming side to it that wasn’t in your face. “LOOK! A MORAL LESSON! RUB RUB RUB”.

It was tastefully done and they definitely paid attention to the details (minions’ actions in the background, etc).

In the end, I knew that this was a movie I would immediately purchase when it comes out on DVD.

When the credits started rolling, my phone vibrated to let me know that the Minions would come on-screen. I will not ruin the special surprise but what the app does is translate what the Minions are saying on your phone screen! It was worth the download and I’m told that when the movie comes out on DVD, the app will translate throughout the entire movie as opposed to just the credits. As a movie-watcher picky about distractions, I found this to be tastefully done and the dimming of my phone screen was what won me over for this app. I’m looking forward to how they use this in future productions.

After the movie, the Boy and I headed home.Β  While I was crossing the street and talking about the movie, this following scene happened:
The Boy: Watch out for the car. It’ll hurt more than running into a pole.
Me: That’s why I have a hat on! To protect my head!

When we got home, I immediately went on-line to look for Minion toys and movie posters.Β  While surfing the posters, I came across one with the Minions that made me squeal because I thought it was in the Minion language.

Me: “It’s in the Minion language!”
The Boy: “Get it!”
Me: “Oh wait, no, that’s Russian.”

Since we saw the movie, we’ve continually laughed about it at random moments. One of those moments led to us having a discussion about what would happen if we could adopt one.

Me: I want a Minion!

The Boy: Find out where we can get one and I will get you one.

Me: But one wouldn’t be as entertaining.

The Boy: Fine, we’ll get two but I have to be able to take one to work a couple of days a week.

Me: But then I’ll only have one left at home. *pout*

The Boy: Alright, we’ll get three.

Me: Sweet!

The Boy: But that’ll be harder to manage. If we have 2, we can watch both of them and know where they are. It’s that third one we have to worry about…you know, the one that the other two will make fun of and shun. That’s the one that’ll disappear and decide to get ‘creative’ and then boom. There goes the kitchen.

Me: *speechless*

The gem of all things Minion came the other night:

The Boy: You know, the Minions are the sperm of short bus riders.

This is why I love this man.

If you haven’t seen Despicable Me yet,Β  I HIGHLY recommend it!

What are your favorite CGI/animation movies?

• Wovoka July 16, 2010, 9:07 am

It isn’t so much the third Minion being shunned and kept in the dark; It’s more like the third Minion being the one masterminding all of the shenanigans and debauchery…tread lightly with that third Minion. Just sayin’…

I loved this post…really.

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 9:09 am

Haha, we didn’t think about that. He was thinking about the third child becomes the outcast sometimes and then decides to get creative.

I loved writing it πŸ™‚

• Cassie July 16, 2010, 9:12 am

My life is my favorite CGI/Animated movie….lol

wow…either it is too early to think, or I just really don’t have a favorite….hmmm, don’t know how I feel about that……

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 9:18 am

Hmmm…maybe get back to me after coffee?

• Cassie July 16, 2010, 10:02 am

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs was effin awesome….pretty much ANY Disney movie….oh hell…no I can’t think of one animated movie I DIDN’T like….lol

even Adam Sandler’s Eight Crazy Nights

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 10:24 am

I haven’t seen either of those yet but I’ve heard a lot of good things about Cloudy.

• Cassie July 16, 2010, 10:24 am

oh..you must rent NOW…very funny movie!!!

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 1:32 pm

It’s going on the list!!

• phampants July 16, 2010, 10:12 am

We grew up in the height of animated films. It’s because of that, we’re so loyal and hold a high bar for kids movies. For me, I’m a very loyal Pixar fan. It has never disappointed me.

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 10:25 am

True. Some movies that are meant for kids also have elements that go way over their head, in my opinion. Which I am quite alright with but the parents need to be careful to read reviews before taking a child to see an animated movie that turns out to be more geared to adults than children.

• Sadako July 16, 2010, 10:35 am

Can’t wait to see Despicable Me. Looks so cute.

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 1:32 pm

You’ll love it!

• KT July 16, 2010, 10:41 am

Haven’t seen the movie yet (will probably wait until it comes out on DVD), but I’m glad that it finally came out because they have been promoting it for months. The tie-ins with the Biggest Loser were the most annoying b/c there was no connection between the movie and the show (at least from what I could tell). Thanks for the review!

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 1:33 pm

Oh I missed those! But yes, it’s awesome. πŸ™‚

• LivingWicked July 16, 2010, 4:25 pm

I got to take the kids to see this. I loved it and am definitely the middle sister … what was her name again?

• PrincessQ July 16, 2010, 7:27 pm

Edith πŸ™‚

• Suburban Sweetheart July 17, 2010, 12:34 am

I just decided this morning that I wanted to see it, after I read a review on TheStranger.com.

• Tabitha July 19, 2010, 5:55 pm

So I saw your post a few days ago and thought, “Yes! I’m totally getting that app and using it when I go to see Despicable Me this weekend.” And then I went and saw it, and DIDN’T BRING MY PHONE! Gah. So frustrating. It just means I’ll have to buy/rent it on DVD and use the app then. Anyway, good review! I agree, it was a really well done movie in all aspects.

• Brandon July 20, 2010, 11:33 am

What about those of us who don’t have smart phones? I can’t tell you how much I’m hating the studio for doing this to us. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THEY SAID!!!

• Jabirusman February 13, 2011, 11:15 am

gossh u r totally crazy bout Despicable me. my lil sis had like everything from despicable me in her room i even bought a carpet for my room with minions on it πŸ™‚