≑ Menu

Unemployed

Hi.

That’s me. As of…Oh, an hour ago.

Yup.

The frustration and the shock of it has worn off. Sort of.

I won’t go into the details.

Those who have known me long enough know that I wasn’t the happiest there anyway but to be UNEMPLOYED? It’s a shock to my system.

I’ve been working since I was 16, sometimes two jobs at a time. The only time I was unemployed was summer of 2006, which we don’t talk about. Ever.

(I already know this post will be all over the place)

Bottom line is that I wasn’t too happy at my job and I was trying to make it work. Or I thought I was. But it’s hard to be passionate about a job you can barely tolerate. I tried. I really did. Hell, I even volunteered to go in at 7 a.m. to break the cycle so I could maybe do better.

It was a surprise but then again, it wasn’t. Deep down, I’m surprised I even lasted this long but I have bills to pay. Even more now that I have rent.

Responsibilities got in the way of my resignation. Maybe they did me a favor today, by taking that choice away from me.

I can’t not work. I know this. As much as I wish I could go to school full-time, I have to have an income.

Maybe this is the push I needed to get more involved with my writing. Maybe this is what I needed to finally establish my freelance business (Even though I’ve already started looking into the proper channels for the legal side of things).

I know that everything will work out.

I also know that I will stumble.

As much as I have a loving and supportive boyfriend, as well as amazing friends, I don’t have a supportive family. The hardest thing for me in the next couple of months will be dealing with THEM.

But this is my life.

I know I can do this.

But just be patient as I stumble and cry all over your shirt, OK?

If you’re in the DC area and know of anyone hiring, please let me know. I’m looking for everything from paid internships to P/T and F/T positions.

• Becky June 23, 2010, 10:01 am

Oh crud monkeys, that sucks. Sending good, positive thoughts in your direction.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 10:35 am

Thank you!

• Cassie June 23, 2010, 10:01 am

OH HONEY! This will all work out in the end..I know it, just b/c of the type of person you are. You will have my prayers for employment soon!

and my shirt is used to the tears….lol

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 10:36 am

Haha, I’m sure I’ll be fine!

I got people like you in my corner πŸ™‚

• Lan Pitts June 23, 2010, 10:02 am

daaaaamn, girl.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 10:36 am

Yup.

• Mb June 23, 2010, 10:05 am

Oh man, definitely sending you my strongest positive energy right now. Good luck to ya through this hard time. But you have the right attitude. Perhaps it’s for the better. Just got tread the water right now.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 10:37 am

Thank you darling!

• RondaMarie June 23, 2010, 10:05 am

I wrote a post sort of about this a few weeks ago. I was asking myself what I would do if I lost everything. What would I do if forced to start over. Maybe it is an opportunity to start freelance work if that is what you want to do. Take some time to figure out what you are really passionate about and how you can do that in some way now that you are forced to do something different. Its really hard to turn such a negative into a positive, but you just may be able to do it. I’ll be crossing my fingers for you and hoping you find income somewhere soon.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 10:38 am

This is something I’ve thought about for a while. Maybe deep down, I knew it was coming.

I hope that it will all work out.

Thank you!

• Kelly June 23, 2010, 10:16 am

Hey, i only looked really quick on the GW website but they have a couple openings in their Marketing and Communications department. A lot of them are writing/editing, publishing, events planning, etc. I would kill for a job at GW! They have sick educational benefits (aka free masters) which is why I’m at my job in a University in NY. Check out the link below and search opportunities, leave everything blank and all the possible openings will come up.

Be Strong. Silly as that sounds. You’ll get through this just fine.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 10:38 am

Yeah, I’ve worked at GW before and have contacts there. I’m going to see if I can get my resume in for a few of the jobs.

Thanks!

• OneBlondeGirl June 23, 2010, 10:30 am

So sorry to hear this. Being unemployed sucks. I’ve been practically unemployed for over a year now (I refuse to count the grad assistant job I had as real employment since it only paid $125/week). Good luck with the job search!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:26 am

Thank you! I appreciate it πŸ™‚

• Mindy June 23, 2010, 10:46 am

Oh crappy… Ugh. If you need to rant, rave, whatever, you know I’m here. But you were unhappy there, so like you said, maybe this is the push you needed. Hopefully you can collect… That would certainly lessen the financial blow.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:26 am

Thanks love. (As I type to you on IM)

xoxo

• Sara Lang June 23, 2010, 10:47 am

I’m in DC and have a lot of contacts, would love to help you out — can we grab coffee sometime and we’ll chat?

• Squish June 23, 2010, 10:55 am

Texas has jobs. Just sayin. :-p

Seriously tho, I’m sorry. πŸ™ Being unemployed is hard, especially when you’re trying to build a single-house-relationship. All my prayers and goodluck thoughts are coming your way – not that I think you’ll need them. You’re too strong to let it get you down for long.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:27 am

Don’t tempt me woman! πŸ˜‰

Thanks.

The blessing is that the Boy now has a job so both of us aren’t unemployed at the same time (That would be laaaaaaaaame)

• bittersweetm June 23, 2010, 11:02 am

I’m so sorry to hear about the unemployment. That absolutely sucks, but you will have bigger and better in your future. When one door closes, another one opens. Cliche, I know, but oddly, true.

Are you interested in Public Affairs and Communications? There’s this great site that posts all the openings in the DC area. The link is http://publicaffairsjobs.blogspot.com … I hope it helps!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:29 am

I stalk that blog like it’s…well, I guess it’s my job now πŸ˜‰

Thank you!

• LiLu June 23, 2010, 11:09 am

I know it’s not necessarily what you want to hear, but I really think this will turn out to be a good thing. Sometimes a kick in the butt it all we need…

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:29 am

I do too. I just have to stick it out and work my ass off to get to where I want.

• spleeness June 23, 2010, 11:15 am

With your history, your drive and your talent, you won’t be out of work long. It probably is a blessing in disguise, especially because you can collect unemployment to help with the bill situation until you land somewhere, whereas you wouldn’t have been able to do that if you resigned.

What things make your heart sing? What kind of jobs are you interested in? I’d love to see a blog post on your dreams (and don’t just include the work but also the life – do you want to travel, stay home, sleep late, get up early). … what?

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:31 am

I am doing my best to see it as a blessing…thank you!

I will try to work on a post like that πŸ™‚

• Miss Tricky June 23, 2010, 11:20 am

I think you’ll be fine. Actually, I KNOW you’ll be fine. If you’re worried go apply for unemployment NOW (I know, Iknow it sucks to do but in this economy you may need it) and hit the ground running.

There is no possible way YOU won’t work it out.

Hugs!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 11:32 am

Thanks lovely!

• Dmbosstone June 23, 2010, 11:48 am

This isn’t exactly the situation you are in but this blog had some interesting tips from another person leaving her job: http://bit.ly/ccuUqB

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 12:09 pm

Thanks.

I’ll def email you about next week.

• LA Cochran June 23, 2010, 11:59 am

*hugs* Oh dear. You will rise up from this stronger. But right now it stinks. Sorry.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 12:10 pm

I know that it’ll be OK.

And I owe you an email πŸ™‚

• Malnurtured Snay June 23, 2010, 12:02 pm

I have a friend who does recruiting for a temp agency . I need to look up her information, but I can put you in touch if you’d like. DM me your e-mail address on Twitter, as I don’t seem to have it.

Alas, my day job — which has had half a dozen vacancies forEVER, apparently filled them all while I was in Colorado, because I came in today and was like, “Am I in the wrong place?”

also, my part-time job is supposed to be hiring.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 12:11 pm

Retail is a last last resort but I’ll shoot you my email for the temp agency info.

Thank you!

• Lusty Reader June 23, 2010, 12:23 pm

well shit. no one likes the carpet pulled out from under them like that! but ive sometimes thought if that happened to me, i would also be sorta? happy someone made the choice for me so i could move on. but its definitely no good to be left in the lurch!

also, im emailing you now.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 3:33 pm

Thanks love.

• Liebchen June 23, 2010, 12:23 pm

I’m so sorry, love. I know how hard this can be…even if you didn’t want to be there anymore. I’ll keep you posted if I hear of any openings – good luck! I know you’ll be okay!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 3:34 pm

Thanks hon.

• Aritza, Goddess of .. June 23, 2010, 12:38 pm

In January, the same thing happened to me, pretty much. I was stuck at a job that I hated, sucked it up to pay the bills but I was really unpassionate about it. Eventually, I was let go. I’m surprised I lasted this long also but I was trying to suck it up until I found something else.

The market is rough out here for young unemployed (lawyers) with one year’s experience.. after 5 months, I found a freelance legal writing job. It really doesn’t pay but at least I’m at home and I have time to look for another job..

Hopefully you’ll find something quickly πŸ™‚ If you get too discouraged, e-mail me .. I’ll try to cheer you up ! HUGS ! Hang in there Bella !

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 3:34 pm

Thanks!

You too.

• On a limb with Claudia June 23, 2010, 1:00 pm

I’m really sorry to hear this. I hope it works out for you.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 4:18 pm

Me too! Thanks!

• Cass June 23, 2010, 1:56 pm

Sorry to hear that hun, unemployment of any kind is a horrible feeling and makes everything uncertain. But eventually you’ll come to realize this is a blessing in disguise, as you’re going to find something that either better suits you or pushes you to do what you really want.

But either way, in the moment it sucks. πŸ™

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 4:19 pm

I truly hope so. Thank you!

• Paula June 23, 2010, 2:54 pm

I’m sorry to hear your bad news, but I LOVE How pragmatically you’re dealing with it, it’s inspirational. Best of luck with getting your freelance business off the ground, with your attitude though, I know you can do it!!! πŸ™‚

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 4:21 pm

I’m definitely trying to stay positive!

Thank you!

• Wendryn June 23, 2010, 2:55 pm

Oy. I’m really sorry to hear about this. I know how hard it is to be unemployed – about 2 years ago I had a stretch of 6 months of unemployment. It really sucked. I hope you find something soon and that it’s something you actively enjoy! I don’t have many contacts in DC, but I’ll keep an ear open.

Good luck! *hugs*

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 4:26 pm

Yeah, I’m kind of throw for a loop but hopefully it’ll all work out!

• Jess June 23, 2010, 3:17 pm

Oy vey iz mir. I am SO SORRY, hon. I’m on a few job list servs, so let me know if you’d like me to forward anything (or everything) to you. And I’ll keep my eyes and ears open.

This is hard now, but I know you’ll come through this with something better!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 9:43 pm

• flipflopsintherain June 23, 2010, 6:14 pm

Oh, PQ, what rotten news. I’m a firm believer in “everything happens for a reason,” but I know that’s probably the last thing you want to hear right now. I’m sending you happy thoughts and, if I hear of anything in that area, I’ll let you know!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 9:43 pm

Thanks babe. OH AND I MISS YOU! xoxo

• Delilah June 23, 2010, 6:44 pm

I know how you feel, at least a little bit. I actually just got fired from my part time job yesterday =( Trying to stay positive though.

Hope you are able to find another job soon!

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 9:44 pm

Stay positive!

• Patty June 23, 2010, 8:41 pm

YOU.CAN.DO.THIS.
    I have no doubt.
    β€œWe are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.” What seems like impossible today is a different door opening for you tomorrow.
    You have an incredible network of friends, and a wonderful boyfriend surrounding you, they will catch you if you stumble.
    I wish you the best of luck, I know you’ll land on your feet.

• PrincessQ June 23, 2010, 9:44 pm

That’s what I keep telling myself.

Thank you so much. xoxo

• TM June 24, 2010, 4:18 am

oh hon I’m sorry. I’m just getting *here* and reading this. I wish I knew of someone up there I’d send you their way. I’ll be praying for you and for a door to open. The universe can be finicky but she’s never a bitch just to be one..yanno? Lots of love being sent your way girl <3

• KT June 24, 2010, 2:08 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry to hear this. πŸ™ But you seem to have a good attitude about it and now you can pursue your dreams! Good luck!

• SillyJaime June 24, 2010, 2:21 pm

I’ll support you, and you can cry on my shirt any time. Even if it’s white. πŸ˜€

• Elizabeth June 26, 2010, 12:19 am

I am sorry to hear this yet amazed at the speed of Twitter. Maybe I should stop boycotting it and network.

• Suburban Sweetheart June 27, 2010, 5:42 pm

That is all.

• Anonymouse June 27, 2010, 8:13 pm

As someone who was recently laid off from a job that I didn’t really like, I have to say it’s the best thing that every happened to me. After a few months I found an amazing job that is doing exactly what I love. Keep your head up.