The Pocketknife of Memories

I pulled my bed away from the wall last night to vacuum and pick up the objects that have fallen through the crack since the last time I cleaned. In addition to the (unused) tampon, hair clips and that lonely sock, I saw a blue pocketknife.

For a moment, I faltered. I was sure that it was the Boy’s but what if it wasn’t?  I was overwhelmed with the whirlwind of memories that came crashing down on me from last summer, before I met the Boy. In the last 6 months, things have been so amazing that the life I had before him in that room is a very distant memory.

The possibility that there could be something left behind from that summer was disturbing.  I sent him a text message and asked him if he has a blue pocketknife. He replied back saying yes and it had been missing for a while.

I let out the breath that I’d been holding.

It’s not that I am burying my past and denying it. It’s that I’ve already accepted it and started the healing process. I faced the truth and I no longer want my present or my future to be tainted by the past.

Although my room is no longer a place haunted by bad memories and the only reason I can’t sleep at night sometimes is because I miss *him* laying next to me, I’m glad that in 2 months, the Boy and I will be starting a new chapter of our lives down the hall.

Also, I am AMAZED at the amount of STUFF I have managed to store in that closet of a room of mine.  Have you ever cleaned and/or packed to move and thought “Where in the world did all of this come from?”

• Liebchen March 24, 2010, 11:50 am

Ah, I know that heart-in-your-throat feeling. I’m glad it all worked out.

And yes, I’m constantly amazed at how such a small space can accumulate so much stuff. And yet I’m still hesitant to throw things out. Crazy.
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..Still on a bit of a Marathon high =-.

• PrincessQ March 24, 2010, 7:30 pm

Me too. I think once I start selling the clothes I’ve never even worn and have a bigger space where I can organize, I’ll throw more out.

• MinD March 24, 2010, 4:47 pm

When I packed up my house to move in with the boyfriend, I was amazed by the stuff I had. There was so much!! I also came across TONS of stuff from the ex and from our relationship … and I pitched it all. I’m not one to throw things away that are associated with memories, but for some reason, I felt I had to. Isn’t it crazy though how much we can attach to objects?
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Snip snip here. Snip snip there. =-.

• PrincessQ March 24, 2010, 7:31 pm

I’m really glad that I have absolutely nothing physical left from guys in my past. The only things I held onto were emails which I deleted a long time ago.

• firecracker March 24, 2010, 5:53 pm

you so deserve everything positive in your life [especially that coming from him] . it’s so wonderful how your life has changed since summer.

the feeling of the past sneak attacking you is a swift kick to the gut that i know all too well. i went through my room at my parents’ and found all my old stuff from college. some good and some bad, but whoa. and i can never throw any of it out.
    .-= firecracker´s last blog ..procrastination, thy name is firecracker. =-.

• PrincessQ March 24, 2010, 7:32 pm

He’s pretty damn amazing and yeah…this has been a huge year for me!

I don’t have much at my parents’ except for my books & dolls…and they can stay there. Well, I’ll be taking my books as soon as I move into an apartment with a library!

• Nanea March 24, 2010, 8:42 pm

I don’t comment, generally, but I do read your blogs and I really admire your honesty. More than that – your integrity. Good for you.

• PrincessQ March 25, 2010, 12:17 pm

Thanks darling

• Suburban Sweetheart March 24, 2010, 8:43 pm

Glad it was his. I know that oh-my-God feeling, & while it’s terrible, sometimes I think it’s still good to get that little nudge of a scary reminder every nice & then to make you really appreciate the changes in your life.

• PrincessQ March 25, 2010, 12:18 pm

Yeah, it is. I try to keep perspective without falling into the trap of letting the past overshadow the now.

• BigMamaCass March 25, 2010, 8:03 pm

Yes that happens every time I pack and move. It’s always a trip down memory lane and wondering and thinking and all sorts of “feelings” *shudder*
    .-= BigMamaCass´s last blog ..Merry Christmas to all and to all… =-.