I Am Supergirl 2.0

I used to be the girl that juggled 17 credits per semester while working two jobs and commuting…and ended up making Dean’s List.

I used to be the girl that could pull 3 all-nighters in a row, pass all her midterms and still manage to go to work.

I used to be the girl that could do it all.

Now, I can barely pull a SINGLE all-nighter and I’m a zombie the next day.  I thought I could manage four classes since they’re all online while working full-time and still manage to work out and have a life. I mean, my commute is shorter, my hours aren’t past 5 PM and come on, I have DVR & Hulu so I don’t even have to watch my shows.

As I came to the startling realization yesterday that I can’t do it all, I had a mini-breakdown. It’s not that I was smarter back then nor was I that fantastic at time management…so why can’t I do it all now?

Then, as my boyfriend held me in his arms as I tried to calm myself down, I realized that I am still Supergirl. I have just adjusted my powers.

I am now living on my own in Washington, DC.

I am working at a job that demands a lot more of my time during the day.

I am in a healthy relationship with a wonderful man.

I have friends that whose company I enjoy immensely.

I am working on establishing a brand as a freelance writer and administrator.

I am working on having a healthy lifestyle that doesn’t consist on surviving the day on 6 shots of espresso.

I am working toward getting my Master’s in Journalism which means my grades matter for my undergrad.

Sure, at this rate, I don’t know when I’ll get my degree. Yes, it is frustrating me that I can’t advance in my professional career because I don’t have that degree, despite my experience. Yes, sometimes I do wish I could do it all.

Then I look at my life.

My priorities remain the same, with a few added on but I’ve realized that being Supergirl doesn’t mean I have to compromise my physical and mental health.

I’m pretty lucky all around. I just have to suck it up and be a little more patient.

That is, until I can figure out how to freeze time.

I am Supergirl 2.0.

Nice to meet you.

• Liebchen March 15, 2010, 11:25 am

I hate the realization that I can’t do it all – especially when I inevitably compare myself to people who can. So this post is actually super helpful. And I love the quotes.
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..Why don’t you need a license to ride a bicycle? =-.

• PrincessQ March 15, 2010, 11:32 am

I constantly compare myself to others. It’s not easy when all of my friends have gotten their Bachelor’s and some have moved onto grad school but then I remember that my circumstances have always been different.

Sometimes, I need other people to beat some sense into me.

• Mary March 15, 2010, 11:33 am

I know exactly the feeling, it can be really hard to realize that you can’t do everything that you thought you could. That’s why they call it prioritizing I guess. But it sounds like you’re doing all the right things, so keep it up!
    .-= Mary´s last blog ..Weekend Recap =-.

• PrincessQ March 15, 2010, 11:34 am

I hate prioritizing. With a passion.
      But that’s the way it goes.

Thanks!

• Miss Scorpio March 15, 2010, 12:46 pm

It’s just a sign that you’re becoming a grown up. Kind of sucks, huh?
    .-= Miss Scorpio´s last blog ..Where has the time gone? =-.

• PrincessQ March 15, 2010, 12:52 pm

Tell me about it. *sigh*

• lbluca77 March 15, 2010, 3:22 pm

When I was in my early 20’s I so thought I could do it all, and really I did do it all. Now I know I can’t do it all and I really don’t even want to. As long as I do what is most important to me then I feel accomplished.

• PrincessQ March 15, 2010, 4:04 pm

The realization that I’m turning 25 in less than 20 days has been pushing me to come to terms with the fact that I am no longer 18 and have different priorities.

• Kendall March 15, 2010, 3:23 pm

First off, I started humming the “Superman Theme” as soon as I read this title.

Second, as I felt swamped for a long while when I started working full time and going to school (along with making time for friends and other things) I can understand the desire to do everything and the need to sometimes take a step back and chill out or burn out.

Third, if you figure out how to freeze time, I would be highly appreciative if you shared that secret. It could prove…lucrative.

Fourth, I just read your “About Me” and I have one thing to say. I am so very jealous that your birthday is April Fool’s Day. All I have is Elijah Wood’s birthday and the anniversary of the Challenger explosion. Not exactly jumping for joy either.
    .-= Kendall´s last blog ..Where Do I Go From Here? =-.

• PrincessQ March 15, 2010, 4:04 pm

I kind of love my April 1 birthday. It’s like the one thing I have going for me.

Yeah…the whole “having friends and hanging out with them” part of my life is pretty new to me…I have to actually schedule my life.

• BigMamaCass March 15, 2010, 10:03 pm

You go SuperGirl! You are doing awesome!!
    .-= BigMamaCass´s last blog ..“Bundled Up” I Heart Faces Photo Challenge =-.

• LiLu March 16, 2010, 1:38 pm

Me too. And I’m convinced this is why I don’t get sick anymore.

Unless I eat potato chips, of course.

• PrincessQ March 17, 2010, 12:06 pm

Stay away from the sharp foods.

• simplyscott March 16, 2010, 1:59 pm

i don’t have a degree — if you have to have it, by all means get it. as long as you are doing what you love and you are surviving without killing yourself to do so, you are good to go.
    .-= simplyscott´s last blog ..give me your tired, your poor, your Texas conservatives fucking up your country =-.

• PrincessQ March 17, 2010, 12:06 pm

I’m definitely trying 🙂

• Ellen March 16, 2010, 10:25 pm

I have never EVER been Supergirl, so I guess if my shit’s a mess (which is most of the time) it’s not as disappointing. Put your superhero cape back on—you’ll fly again soon 🙂

• PrincessQ March 17, 2010, 12:07 pm