How to Avoid Secretary Butt*

When I mentioned ‘Secretary Butt’ to LiLu on GChat yesterday, I was surprised to find out she hadn’t heard of it.  I thought of the best way to explain it and this is what I came up with:

“Like a goldfish that grows to the size of its bowl, it’s when your butt grows to the size of your chair.”

This is a common term that’s been used in my house since I started working in offices 7 years ago.

“Now don’t you get secretary butt” my parents tell me.

It’s an epidemic and it’s more common than we might think. The problem with office work and being in a society where we drive and/or take the metro everywhere is that we are sitting more than we are moving. Before you know it, your butt is so big, you can set a glass on it.

We don’t want that now, do we?

I try to be very careful, especially with my already genetically big butt and it’s always been a concern for me.

Some glutes exercies that I picked up:

Begin in a wide squat. Push off the ball of your right foot and squeeze and contract your entire leg and gluteal (rear end) region. Hold for four seconds. Repeat on the left side.

Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart. Squeeze your glutes as tightly as you can for four seconds.

hand on it for support, if needed. Lift your right foot toward your rear for a hamstring curl. Hold the contraction for four seconds. Repeat on the left side.

Start with your legs shoulder-width apart. Lift your right leg behind you at a 45-degree angle about six inches off the floor and point your toe. Squeeze your glutes for four seconds. Repeat on the left side.

Since we can’t all quit our jobs, it’s important to make sure we stay on top of our health even when we’re at the office.  The exercises above can be done at your desk and only takes about 10 minutes.

What exercise tips do you have that have worked for you? (For your butt especially)

For more tips on exercising while at work, check out this link.

Remember, booty is good. Secretary butt is not.

*This is now being added to the PQ Dictionary

• SillyJaime March 10, 2010, 10:53 am
    • PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 1:09 pm

Pft. Do the exercies and you’ll be set!

• Mikaela March 10, 2010, 3:00 pm

Oh no! I really hope I never get the dreaded “secretary butt!” Thanks for the exercise tips. Taking the stairs and walking to Lunch really help too.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 3:49 pm

Yeah, I walked home from work yesterday…that was kind of awesome.

• Liebchen March 10, 2010, 12:35 pm

I’m currently trying to imagine the looks on my coworkers’ faces, if I were to get up and do these exercises every afternoon.

I wonder if they’d join me…
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..Good news! =-.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 1:09 pm

I bet it’d be a grand ol’ time.

The link I posted has a bunch of links to different sites that have tips on exercising even while sitting in your chair.

• phampants March 10, 2010, 12:40 pm

YES! There is such thing as secretary butt and it ain’t pretty! Thank you for pointing it out. A lot of people do not know.
    .-= phampants´s last blog ..Blah Blah Blah (Chicago) – Soon As I Get Home Tonight =-.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 1:09 pm

RIGHT?

It must be exposed.

• Passionista March 10, 2010, 1:12 pm

I’ve never heard that term before either lol. I have a too small butt, so what can I do to get a booty? lol
    .-= Passionista´s last blog ..365 Photo Project =-.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 3:25 pm

Eat lots of carbs.

And sit on your ass all day long but you still have to do squats to make sure it’s not a FLAT butt.

• BigMamaCass March 10, 2010, 1:27 pm

As I said on LiLu’s blog today… I am allergic to exercise 🙂
    .-= BigMamaCass´s last blog ..Some rotten news and some yelling Random TT =-.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 3:25 pm

Pft. Pop an allergy medicine and get to it!

• Zandria March 10, 2010, 2:18 pm

I wouldn’t mind having secretary butt; it’s secretary GUT that I’m concerned about. FML
    .-= Zandria´s last blog ..TMI Thursday: I’m Not a Size Queen, but… =-.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 3:25 pm

Crunches!

• B6sful October 5, 2011, 12:18 pm

Hmm now what if I keep changing chairs? Can I mannipulate my butt size?

• shine March 10, 2010, 2:30 pm

Epidemic.
    .-= shine´s last blog ..My argument FOR the Oxford comma. =-.

• PrincessQ March 10, 2010, 3:26 pm

• Suzanne March 13, 2010, 3:40 pm

Holy Moly, that picture was so funny….because I am always worried about getting Secretary Butt too…having worked as a secretary for several years!