Grease Is the Word

I should’ve been born in the 50s.

No, I’m serious.

Do you know how much I love big skirts and awesome dancing? A lot.

Do you know how much I love Grease? A LOT.

When I was little, I watched Grease in Turkey.  When we moved to the US, one of the first things I bought was the Grease Soundtrack and I would listen to it EVERY NIGHT. I wanted to dance like them. I wanted to be able to sing like them and I was in heaven when they released the movie to the theaters on its 20th Anniversary so I could see it on the big screen! Whenever the movie is on TV, I have to stop whatever I’m doing and watch it.

I always thought I wanted to be Sandy but my experiences in my teens and early 20s proved to me that I was more like Rizzo*.

So imagine my reaction when my friend texted me last night and said that her friend had 2 extra tickets to Grease at the National Theatre and asked me if I would be interested**.

Um.

Because I love the movie so much and I only have eyes for John Travolta, I was a little worried that I wouldn’t enjoy it so I tried not to fixate on the cast.  I, of course, had to start focusing on them and didn’t want to miss a beat because they were AMAZING.  It was obvious they were having a lot of fun and they did a fantastic job. Of course ‘Danny’ couldn’t hit the same note John Travolta hits at the end of Summer Loving but he had my heart at the first hip thrust.

And then there was Taylor Hicks.

I’ll be honest. I hadn’t heard the man sing once. I didn’t watch American Idol and never paid attention when he was on TV.  He was the ‘Teen Angel’ that sings Beauty School Dropout to Frenchie…and let me tell you…He definitely got into the role of ‘Angel’ but he was obviously a diva. I was NOT disappointed though. He was entertaining and pretty funny and I enjoyed his singing. When the play was over, he sang his new single (FREE CONCERT!).

Overall, I was giddy ALL NIGHT LONG. I was singing along to EVERY SONG and fell in love with Grease on a brand new level. If you’re looking for a great time, the cast*** will be at the National Theatre until Feb 21st.

If you could see one play on Broadway, what would it be?

Who’s your favorite character from Grease? Ladies, would you be a Pink Lady or a poodle-skirt wearing Sandra Dee?

Seen any plays lately? What’s your favorite play and/or musical?

*If I had one wish, it would be to be talented enough to play Rizzo on stage.

**If any of you ever have an extra ticket to a play, my answer will ALWAYS be YES! (Thanks to DMBosstone for being the first to ask me last summer and giving me an opportunity to see Spring Awakening at the Kennedy Center)

***Major shout out to Jamison Scott who played Eugene. It was fantastic meeting you!!

• steph February 18, 2010, 10:02 am

Sounds like you had a great time–and to answer your question–Les Mis, all day, every day. (With Rent coming in a close second and Mamma Mia coming in in LAST PLACE.)

• PrincessQ February 18, 2010, 10:57 am

I would LOVE to see Les Mis & Rent live.

• Mb February 18, 2010, 10:09 am

OMG. 50s! Hands down my favorite decade. Between the music and the clothing, I’d be in heaven to travel back in time.

Sidenote- in my middle school production of Greese I played the annoying smart girl, Patty Simcox. But if I had a choice I’d be Frenchie.
    .-= Mb´s last blog ..Sometime I use my mouth for thinking =-.

• PrincessQ February 18, 2010, 10:58 am

Love it! I would’ve just been happy BEING in the production and would totally be fine with playing the annoying girl!

Ugh, I had to control myself and NOT buy a “Pink Ladies” jacket last night!

• SillyJaime February 18, 2010, 11:03 am

I’ve seen a lot of Broadway shows. My aunt has been taking my sister and I once a year for quite a few years now. I’ve seen West Side Story, Spamalot, Cabaret, Chicago, Phantom of the Opera, The King & I, Annie Get Your Gun, Cats, Fiddler on the Roof, Mamma Mia!, and some more shows that I can’t think of.

Also, in Grease, I’m more of a Sandy kind of girl but I’d totally want to play the part of Frenchie.
    .-= SillyJaime´s last blog ..Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah =-.

• PrincessQ February 18, 2010, 11:22 am

I am VERY jealous of you right now. Fiddler on the Roof is coming to DC in May…I may actually try to go!

• SillyJaime February 18, 2010, 11:23 am

It was really good. 😀 I really wanted to go see Wicked this year, but I didn’t have the money while it was in town. :/
        .-= SillyJaime´s last blog ..Rah-rah-ah-ah-ah =-.

• PrincessQ February 18, 2010, 11:34 am

I thought Wicked was coming to town but apparently, it’s not. Which made me sad.

• Jeney February 18, 2010, 11:29 am

I would KILL someone to see Spring Awakening… I love the soundtrack and want to see the show more than anything!!

And I am totally a Pink Lady. ;-P
    .-= Jeney´s last blog ..I’m callin’ you out. =-.

• PrincessQ February 18, 2010, 11:33 am

Spring Awakening was A-MAHZING. And I got to meet the cast afterwards. I still have to buy the soundtrack (I am so slow sometimes)

Also, rawr.

• Liebchen February 18, 2010, 1:03 pm

I haven’t seen too many shows, but the ones I have I absolutely loved – with Wicked and Rent taking the top spots.

I’ve also had the Grease soundtrack since middle school, I think, and my brother and I can occasionally be found singing “Stranded at the Drive-in” as a duet. Special.
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..Not one of my better mornings =-.

• PrincessQ February 18, 2010, 3:52 pm

Why-y-y-y?

Heh.

I am so jealous that you got to see Wicked and Rent!

• Paula February 18, 2010, 6:01 pm

I don’t know if it’s on Broadway or not, but I’d love to see Avenue Q. And also Grease!
    .-= Paula´s last blog ..WHERE IN THE WORLD WEDNESDAY: TALES FROM A HEN WEEK . . . =-.

• BigMamaCass February 18, 2010, 7:19 pm

How fun! I haven’t seen a play since 2006!

• Dmbosstone February 20, 2010, 1:36 am

Taylor should realize he shouldn’t be a Diva- since he is stooping low for this role.
    .-= Dmbosstone´s last blog ..The Shiz My Family Says Vol II: Where My Parents Want Me To Marry A Vietnamese Beauty Queen =-.