Up Up Down Down Left Right B A Start

At 2:oo a.m. on a Saturday night, I was under the covers…squealing with joy.

What?

Oh, get your mind out of the gutter fools. I was on my computer! Why was I so excited? I found this blog and that blog had an entry that made me scream.

“OMG! BUBBLE BOBBLE! IT’S BUBBLE BOBBLE! DO YOU REMEMBER BUBBLE BOBBLE?”

“I remember” my boyfriend replied.

“I HAVE TO FIND IT!”

And a quick google search gave me an amazing website that lets me play Bubble Bobble! What did I do for the next 20 minutes? I PLAYED BUBBLE BOBBLE!

And I am quite proud of it.

See, most of my memories after moving to the US revolve around video games. We used to play on my cousin’s original Nintendo (Blowing on it for 5 minutes to get it work everytime.) Sega Genesis was my all-time favorite but I remember spending hours at ToysRus when our moms were shopping, playing the new games on the new systems.  James Bond on Nintend64 anyone?

Streets of Rage 2, Street Fighter, Sonic the Hedgehog, were at the top of my list of games that I could spend hours playing on Sega. As far as sports games go, Mutant League Football was my favorite!! That game was fun as hell!

Of course who can forget the classic Mario, and Donkey Kong for the Nintendo Gameboy?  And before I even moved to the US, I was a handheld Tetris addict!

My love of games was not restricted to game consoles. Who remembers SkiFree*? Oh come on…How many of us spent hours on the computer, skiing down that mountain, running away from the monster trying to eat us?

(Un)fortunately, my love for video games has not diminished as I grew older.  My taste is the same…I still geek out over the classics but like my movies, I love a lot of action and strategy in my video games. Of course, crashing a car or 10 is always therapeutic as well.

It’s a good thing my boyfriend is as much of a geek as I am…because let’s face it…my house WILL have a game room and it just might have a Nintendo controller as a coffee table.

Or ya know…a Pac-man ghost or two on the walls…

So my dear fellow geeks…Do share your favorite video-game memories…games….and whether or not you are still an addict.

While you do that, I’ll be over here, blowing bubbles until my hands don’t work anymore.

*I totally just downloaded it to my computer.

• Christina January 11, 2010, 1:39 am

OMG SkiFree!! I totally need to download that now that I’m reminded of its existence.

I also fondly remember those days of blowing on the Nintendo console for 5 minutes before it would actually work. Did your Super Mario Bros 3 game come up in a checkerboard curtain instead of a red one when you forgot to blow on it first, like mine did?
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..On Commuting =-.

• PrincessQ January 11, 2010, 1:45 pm

I don’t remember the games themselves because they all belonged to my cousin. I just remember fighting over the controls!

• Paula January 11, 2010, 4:00 am

Donkey Kong and Mario were my faves. I also loved Paper Boy and this game called California Games which I was RUBBISH at but I loved TRYING to play it – surfing and rollerskating and that sort of stuff – good times!
    .-= Paula´s last blog ..NOT SEEING CLEARLY . . . =-.

• PrincessQ January 11, 2010, 1:45 pm

Haha, that’s awesome! I used to play Donkey Kong on Gameboy at Sears when my parents were shopping

• Damaris January 11, 2010, 10:25 am

Anyone remember Atari?! It was simple but really really fun!!!

My fave was Nintendo’s Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt! Loved it!!!

• PrincessQ January 11, 2010, 1:44 pm

Well, Atari just goes without saying!

• Liebchen January 11, 2010, 11:32 am

Ms. Pacman was one of my favorites, but it’s so hard to choose. We had all of the Disney games for Sega, and I’m pretty sure I still remember the cheat code (for unlimited lives) for Aladdin. If only I could test that theory.
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..I should have been more specific when I asked for more snow =-.

• PrincessQ January 11, 2010, 1:44 pm

Ohhhhh, good old cheat codes!

• Jeney January 11, 2010, 12:26 pm

My brothers and I used to play Cool Spot on Sega every chance we possibly could.

We also loved the Looney Toones for Sega and this really weird game called Solstice for Nintendo NES.
    .-= Jeney´s last blog ..Good American? Bad American? Ugly American? =-.

• PrincessQ January 11, 2010, 1:44 pm

Good, good memories 🙂

• DisposablePal January 11, 2010, 1:31 pm

i grew up playing everything, i still do. my nerd claim to fame is the fact that i have the Contra code that you referenced in your blog title tattoo’d on my right forearm http://www.flickr.com/photos/95091309@N00/4265913259/
    .-= DisposablePal´s last blog ..Newer new blog =-.

• PQ January 11, 2010, 1:41 pm

That…is the greatest tattoo…ever.

• Kendall January 11, 2010, 1:39 pm

Sega Genesis for the win! Sonic Adventure 2 and Zombies Ate My Neighbours were two of my first games ever and remain some of my favourites.

I am still an addict. Hell, I’ve actually done tournaments for Call of Duty.

I feel no shame for any of this.
    .-= Kendall´s last blog ..This? This Is My Heart. See How It Breaks. =-.

• PQ January 11, 2010, 1:42 pm

My boyfriend LOVES Call of Duty. I’m a fan of the zombie games and Assassin’s Creed myself.

• Phoenix Vail January 11, 2010, 2:46 pm

Super Mario Brothers and duck hunt were my very first games. That was original NES. Then the super NES came out and Metroid was my sin of choice. I would stay up for hours into the middle of any night, with a 2 liter of Mt Dew, a bag of 3D Nacho Cheese Doritos, and my Metroid. that was my heaven! NOW!!! I have an old PS1, I have a PS2 and a Wii. Not to mention my laptop, my gameboy thingie on which I’m lethal at Pokemon! and I am a dedicated Worms Armageddon player. Yeah, I still go geeky once in a while! 🙂 Glad to know I’m not the only one! 🙂

• PrincessQ January 11, 2010, 2:51 pm

HOW COULD I FORGET WORMS?!?!

• Patrick January 11, 2010, 5:33 pm

Ski Free! OMG! Almost as cool as Scorched Earth.
    .-= Patrick´s last blog ..My Brother Can Rap =-.

• PrincessQ January 12, 2010, 4:27 pm

I have no idea what that is but now I wanna look it up.

• SillyJaime January 11, 2010, 8:56 pm

The first three Super Mario Bros games, M.U.L.E., Legend of Zelda, Q-Bert, Donkey Kong, M.U.L.E., Final Fantasy (1), Hunt for Red October, Skate-Or-Die, M.U.L.E…. did I mention M.U.L.E.?
    .-= SillyJaime´s last blog ..It doesn’t feel like Monday. =-.

• PrincessQ January 12, 2010, 4:27 pm

M.U.L.E., was it?

• Ms Lollygagger January 12, 2010, 3:04 pm

OMG! I love love love Bubble Bobble..I just found out I can download it to my Wii!
    Also, CONTRA! 🙂

• PrincessQ January 12, 2010, 4:27 pm

Ohhhhhhhh, MORE REASON FOR ME TO GET A WII!!

• MinD January 13, 2010, 4:58 pm

I definitely don’t know anythinga bout Bubble Bobble, but Ski Free and myself used to be good friends, even if the game was completely lame…

But oh man, that coffee table and those Pac Man wall decorations? LOVE! I’m a total geek. I used to play Heroes of Might and Magic (3? I think) way too often. I love games. Total nerd.
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Mork & Mindy. =-.
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Mork & Mindy. =-.

• PrincessQ January 13, 2010, 5:55 pm

Um, I definitely still play Heroes of Might and Magic 3.

• Jenn January 16, 2010, 11:27 pm

OMG OMG!! I LOVED James Bond on Nintendo64! That was the only game to be played on that system!! I once stayed with a boyfriend a few extra months before breaking up with him just because he had that system and that game(sad I know). And SkiFree! I had totally forgotten about that!

• hotel tuerkei January 23, 2010, 2:45 am

Table Ancient,practice you imagine interview colleague enemy dress cat consist ourselves lip politics indeed withdraw produce substantial widely affect call hold form tea firm upon use type twice left current everybody break impression absolutely life truth hotel official throw ensure land give potential white possible output attack box soon vision direct customer church vary rise technology investment outside most dress seem commission open financial head research code establish royal football kitchen relationship lay also unable detail committee might proposal contract competition regional teaching

• Ebonie Moorehead February 6, 2010, 11:26 am

I really liked reading your post!. Quallity content. With such a valuable blog i believe you deserve to be ranking even higher in the search engines :). Check out the link in my name. That links to a tool that really helped me rank high in google. This way even more people can enjoy your posts and nothing beats a big audiance 😉

• Randell Accala December 10, 2010, 12:04 pm

Wow! Photograph researching bing all day due to this and i also last but not least found it here!