Rushing Through Humanity

Just like any other day, I was ready to get home and crash.  I made my way through the crowd to the metro, the music in my ear helping drown out the sounds of rush hour.  I weaved through crowd and made my way to the escalators.  The cold wind made its way past my coat and scarf, hitting my neck. The cold made it difficult to breathe so all I wanted was to make it to the bottom of the escalator.

I had to come to a halt because of a man that had stopped right before the right escalator.

Any other day, I wouldn’t have even registered this occurrence and moved on but the frustrations of the weekend had been wearing down on me all day. I heard myself let out a frustrated sigh. As I walked around him, I saw a flash of white and on my way down the left escalator, a frustrated and angry thought made its way through the music and into the forefront of my brain.

“What an idiot! I can’t believe he stopped in the middle of the crowd at the head of the stairs to put in his iPod earphones!”

At the bottom of the escalator, as I turned left to head to the train, I saw the flash of white again. He was not holding earphones in his hand.

He was holding a cane.

He had stopped at the top of the escalator to unfold his cane to guide his way through the crowd so he, too, could go home.

In a rush, as I let the unnecessary drama, the fatigue and the insignificant 30-second delay get to me, I made a judgment call.

That judgment call and the image of the cane in his hand haunted me all night.

We’re all rushing to get somewhere.

Let’s not rush through humanity, leaving civilization, consideration and courtesy behind.

• Meghan January 7, 2010, 1:57 am

I feel the same way in Boston…

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 9:32 am

I think in any large city with public transportation, this becomes an issue.

• Chrissa January 7, 2010, 2:11 am

Really, really great fucking blog.

I should read it more. I miss my Myspace Sub List 🙁

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 9:31 am

Google Reader is a life saver.

And thank you.

• Mb January 7, 2010, 8:48 am

Gah, whenever I do this I feel like the biggest asshole. But it’s good that you’re able to stop and recognize your mistake of early judgement. You’ll be less quick to do it next time. We aren’t perfect. But we learn from these slip ups.
    .-= Mb´s last blog ..The shortest book review: The Traveler =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 9:32 am

Yeah, I felt like crap all night. I try not to make snap judgments. This was a big blow to that goal.

• Cassie January 7, 2010, 9:56 am

yeah, I sorta feel bad when I yell at little old ladies driving too slow on the interstate, but it never lasts for long….

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 10:43 am

Yeah, the road is a whole different animal

• chrissa January 7, 2010, 10:38 am

I use my Reader, but I have 100’s of blogs pumped into it, so I don’t get through as many as I’d like.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 10:43 am

Make lists like I do. “Must-Reads”, “Locals”, “Funny”, “Deals”, etc.

• great read! i do things like this all time. i get so wrapped up in my old little world and so angry when others delay what i have to do.

this really helps put it into perspective and makes me think i should pay some more attention!

ps – i should really look into this google reader thing…no one is on myspace anymore…i came back to nothing…lol

• PQ January 7, 2010, 11:24 am

Oh, no one’s on Myspace anymore…lol. Check Facebook and find people on there.

And Google Reader is the greatest thing ever invented.
      .-= PQ´s last blog ..Rushing Through Humanity =-.

• Liebchen January 7, 2010, 11:14 am

Oh, I’ve done this…and then, when I finally realize what I’ve done, I feel like the asshole. (Not saying that you are!) But you’re right – we rush too much sometimes.
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..“I hate CVS, doctors, and insurance”* =-.

• Miss Scorpio January 7, 2010, 11:18 am

I hate when I do that. But like Mb says, you definitely slow down before you jump to conclusions in the future.
    .-= Miss Scorpio´s last blog ..Not what I expected =-.

• PQ January 7, 2010, 11:25 am

I’ve been good at not jumping to conclusions. I just got swept away in the moment, which I hate.
      .-= PQ´s last blog ..Rushing Through Humanity =-.

• SassyGirl January 7, 2010, 11:32 am

I’ve been on the receiving end of this scenario, when I had luggage. I had to stop in front of a staircase, slide the handle in, and then pick the luggage up and walked up/down the stairs. It was an ordeal, and I hated holding up whoever was rushing behind me about to bump into me. But it was also annoying to hear them muttering and cursing me when I was already trying to make the switch as fast as possible out of consideration for them.
    Although, not everyone is like that. One time, the people behind me actually offered to help me with my luggage, instead of muttering and cursing behind me. So there is hope for our society after all.
    .-= SassyGirl´s last blog ..I lovehate boys. =-.

• PQ January 7, 2010, 11:59 am

Well, even if I get frustrated, I try to keep it internal because I’ve been on the other side of the line too.

It comes down to the ability to empathize.
      .-= PQ´s last blog ..Rushing Through Humanity =-.

• LiLu January 7, 2010, 11:51 am

The other day I was in line at the bank and the guy at the teller booth dropped something. I didn’t notice what it was until the guy behind me stepped around me, walked over to him, and picked up HIS CANE for him.

Yanno, because he was BLIND and all.

Sigh.
    .-= LiLu´s last blog ..TMI Thursday: Sharing is Caring… Albeit a Little “Rocky” At Times. =-.

• phampants January 7, 2010, 2:01 pm

Sometimes, I feel so self absorbed. I just hope I become more humble each day.
    .-= phampants´s last blog ..Awkward Favor =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 3:01 pm

We just have to be more aware.

• Melissa January 7, 2010, 2:49 pm

Wow. well said. Sometimes it just takes one of those moments to remind you to take a minute to relax in life, doesn’t it? That was a really thoughtful story, thanks for sharing 🙂
    .-= Melissa´s last blog ..There You Go For the Last Time… ♫ =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 3:01 pm

Thank you! 🙂

• MinD January 7, 2010, 7:06 pm

Why didn’t he have the cane out before?

That’s clearly besides the point. And sadly, we’re all guilty of judging before we take a second to think about the situation. Maybe it’s a lesson in patience?
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Post-holiday pessimism? =-.

• PQ January 8, 2010, 2:15 am

Well, he probably didn’t need it until he had to walk down the escalators.

And yes, it’s a lesson in patience and humility.

• Suburban Sweetheart January 7, 2010, 10:24 pm

I felt much the same the other day when I wrote that post about the woman who killed herself on the tracks. Funny that Metro can make you think about humanity like this, huh?
    .-= Suburban Sweetheart´s last blog ..Let’s Get Interactive: Now Presenting the Winter Crazies Photo Challenge! =-.