Don’t Call Me

I cannot stand talking on the phone.

There. I said it.

Before I moved into the city, when I had to sit in traffic and there was nothing I could do, I still hated talking on the phone, except for talking to my bestie because that was the only time we could really talk. Other than that, don’t call me.

I’m a multitasker. I can’t do other things when I’m talking on the phone which makes me FIDGET. Besides, unless I haven’t talked to you in months and months, we won’t have anything to talk about for more than 2 minutes. You know why?

Because I hate small talk. HATE it. It’s a waste of time. I know my friends. I can tell their moods and unless it’s a complicated issue that takes too long to type, there is no reason they can’t text or e-mail me. I have a better attention span when I’m reading things. I type faster. I don’t ramble as much when I type. (Shut it, I said ‘as much’)

I get nervous when I talk which is weird because I really wanted to be a lawyer but that’s different. That’s speaking with a purpose.

Talking on the phone and making small talk? Notsomuch.

I also hate the sound of my own voice. And my accent. And my mouth/throat get dry. I hate that. Hate it with a passion.

I do feel a little guilty because I should pick up the phone more. I should call my friends to check on them but…I can check on them easier when I text. Besides, I don’t want to call when they’re sleeping (Time difference) or spending time with their kids/significant others.

So if you want to get a hold of me, don’t call and leave a voicemail because I won’t check it for days.

Text me. Tweet me. Use those fingers to type, not dial because you’ll just hit a dead-end when you call my phone.

What about you? Do you like talking on the phone or texting better? Are you one of those people that can talk for hours without losing your voice? (I hate you if you are. With love of course.)

• moooooog35 January 6, 2010, 11:18 am

I LOVE talking on the phone.

It’s the $9.99/minute rates that kill me.

Um.

I think we may be talking about different things.
    .-= moooooog35´s last blog ..Seven Seconds? I Got that Shit BEAT! =-.

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 11:23 am

That’s business. I said nothing about business calls.

• Katie January 6, 2010, 11:19 am

I think we might be twins.

I hate talking in the phone too. Even worse? Checking voicemail. I have 20 un”read” voicemails right now, and I don’t intend on ever checking them.

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 11:23 am

Yeah…sometimes I check my voicemail to find that I have 10 of them…10 of which I didn’t even realize I had.

Oops.

• Oh man…I used to love to talk on the phone and could do it for hours…now I totally and completely dread phone calls! I agree send me a text or email (that goes straight to my phone) is so much better. I dont know why…but I now get all weirded out and awkward on phone calls!

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 11:54 am

Exactly! I can check my email from my phone so I’m constantly in touch anyway. I just hate small talk.

Blah. LOL

• Squish January 6, 2010, 11:47 am

I never thought of you having an accent. It makes me smile.

I don’t talk on the phone either – for a lot of the same reasons.
    .-= Squish´s last blog ..XYZ… =-.

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 11:55 am

It really comes out if I’m tired…or I’m saying a word with a lot of ‘v’s and ‘w’s.

• Cassie January 6, 2010, 11:53 am

What about you? Do you like talking on the phone or texting better? if I’m sober….texting, if I’ve been drinking, there’s no telling…..hahahahaha

Are you one of those people that can talk for hours without losing your voice? (I hate you if you are. With love of course.) umm, yes, I COULD, but I wouldn’t WANT to…..

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 11:55 am

My drunk texts have gotten awful lately…lol

• Cassie January 6, 2010, 11:58 am

*I* wouldn’t know, seeing as I NEVER get any……..come to think of it…NOBODY drunk texts me….*pout*

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 11:59 am

But I love YOUR drunk texts! LOL

• phampants January 6, 2010, 1:18 pm

You don’t have an accent!
    .-= phampants´s last blog ..Awkward Favor =-.

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 1:57 pm

Oh but I do!

You have to hang out with me long enough to hear it.

It gets worse when I speak in Turkish, which is weird!

• Damaris January 6, 2010, 2:07 pm

How funny… I was just having the texing vs calling convo with my bestie!!! Yeah I’m more of a texter myself… Unless the phone call is super quick, from someone I’m trying to get to know or of dire importance. Texting is a lot more convenient!

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 2:18 pm

Exactly!

• Liebchen January 6, 2010, 2:07 pm

I’m much better with the texting/emailing. The only person I really talk to on the phone is my mom. Which is funny, because she’s not a phone person either.
    .-= Liebchen´s last blog ..Maybe having a type isn’t always a bad thing =-.

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 2:19 pm

My mom calls constantly…But it’s for different reasons.

It’s funny because my boyfriend’s dad has started texting…which I think is adorable.

• GypsySoul January 6, 2010, 2:09 pm

I hate to talk… but I hate to text too. Mostly I guess I just don’t like to be bothered with it all. Some people I’ll talk to before I’ll text (like my husband) and some people I’ll text before I’ll talk. And don’t get me started on Voicemail… I HATE VM!!!!

• PrincessQ January 6, 2010, 2:20 pm

So I’ll just harass you on Facebook!! <3

• Paula January 6, 2010, 5:07 pm

I also dislike talking on the phone, Intensely. Even when I was in high school and EVERYONE was talking on the phone every night, I only pretended to like it. Really I hate not being able to actually SEE someone’s reaction when I talk to them – who knows what they’re doing on the other end of the line. Yuck. I’m better at writing than talking so I also prefer things like texting and emailing!
    .-= Paula´s last blog ..WHERE IN THE WORLD WEDNESDAY: WHERE ELSE WOULD I RATHER BE??? =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:01 am

Haha, I never really talked on the phone in high school! Does that make me weird?!

• Walking on Sunshine January 6, 2010, 5:46 pm

I prefer the phone because I’m not the best texter in the world…. hahahaha

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:03 am

Haha, well, I guess the reverse is also true!

• Jaime January 6, 2010, 6:03 pm

I’d definitely take texting over talking any day, except with a handful of people. I’m no good at conversation, I have very poor conversational skills.
    .-= Jaime´s last blog ..No more Stabby McStabbyface. =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:04 am

I think you and I need to have a conversation.

• Jaime January 7, 2010, 1:12 pm

On the telephone? I’ve never talked to you on the telephone before. What if I’m bad at it?
        .-= Jaime´s last blog ..No more Stabby McStabbyface. =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:39 pm

You can’t be bad at talking.

• Kristen January 6, 2010, 10:04 pm

I feel you on this. I also hate talking on the phone, but for a different reason – it eats up too much of my time! I never call anyone because I have too much to do and I can’t afford to have marathon chats, which is what my conversations always turn into. So, like you, I do an obscene amount of texting to make up for not being available to chat live. I’d have to say email is my favorite form of correspondence, but maybe that’s the writer in me.

I was surprised to learn that you hate talking on the phone, by the way. I don’t know why, but I had you pegged as a chit-chatter.
    .-= Kristen´s last blog ..Women and Sex Part I =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:04 am

In person? You can’t shut me up. On the phone? AWKWARD SILENCE or stupid rambling.

• brookem January 7, 2010, 12:07 am

i love the phone, but only talking with other phone people. my best friend is a phone girl, my manfriend is decidedly NOT.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:05 am

Isn’t that the worst?

• Suburban Sweetheart January 7, 2010, 12:44 am

I hate the phone. I’m so anti the phone. But I AM into social media as a means of keeping in touch – and have a tough time keeping in touch with those who aren’t! Oh yeah, and I text like a fiend…
    .-= Suburban Sweetheart´s last blog ..Think. =-.

• PrincessQ January 7, 2010, 1:06 am

It’s been weird trying to balance that out…The whole social media vs. not deal…

• LA Cochran January 7, 2010, 11:00 pm

I couldn’t possibly agree more. Hate the phone. Hate small talk.

What you said. To the hundredth power.
    .-= LA Cochran´s last blog ..TMI/"And sleep, just sleep" –My Chemical Romance =-.

• PrincessQ January 8, 2010, 2:17 am

Amen.

• spleeness January 9, 2010, 8:20 pm

ME TOO. I hate talking on the phone, hate listening to voice mails, etc. Am relieved to see so many others say the same thing. It’s impossible to get stuff done and I don’t talk unless I can multitask!