Correcting A Wrong Turn

“Why aren’t you getting a journalism degree?”

It’s amazing how often I’ve been asked this question in the last 2 years. Why aren’t I? Because when I applied to college, I didn’t believe in myself as a writer. I was headed in the direction of becoming a lawyer so International Relations seemed to be the way to go. Besides, being a journalism major takes dedication. Who was I to think I could do a program as vigorous as that?

Then I remembered how hard I worked to get into college and how much harder I worked to get on the Dean’s list when I was working two jobs…Before I screwed up my life and lost my scholarship of course.

But becoming a journalism major? Maybe for grad school.

Maybe not.

I am a couple of semesters away from finishing up my B.A. The way GW scheduling works, there is no way I can do that in a reasonable amount of time while working full time. I sure as hell don’t plan on quitting my job to write full time just yet. (I’ve been tempted, believe me).

Writing is my passion and as I’ve seen in the last couple of years, I’m pretty decent at it.It would be foolish of me to completely throw away all of my hard work for an IR/PoliSci degree so the next step is to apply to another university that has a good program for both PoliSci and Journalism and double major.

It’s probably a little crazy because hey, GW IS SUCH A GREAT SCHOOL! But you know what?

At this point in my life, when I am 6 months away from turning 25 years old…I need a B.A. simply to move onto the next step in my life, which is a Master’s Degree, which will probably be in Journalism. I’m holding myself back from a better career for what? A diploma with a school’s name on it that is supposed to open doors for me?

Please. I open my own doors. Hell…I kick them down.

I need to get my B.A. so I can move forward. I’ve been running in place for the past 3 years and that…stops now.

I probably won’t be some amazing journalist but I do have a plan to write full time and have my own company in the next 5 years.

I plan on sticking to that plan.

Does it scare the hell out of me to get out of my comfort zone and possibly completely FAIL at something that everyone thinks I should be doing? Sure. But guess what? I stepped out of a lot of comfort zones over the last year and when you get past the fear…

It is always worth the experience.

Have you corrected a wrong turn in your life? What about stepping out of your comfort zone to take a chance? How’d that work out for you? Could you offer any advice on good journalism programs in the DC Metro area?

*********

Remember that you can vote for me EVERYDAY…Help me get in the top 20 for a shot dream job! If you want to support me by putting the button on your page, you can get the code when you vote for me. Remember to use the hashtag #berrakthevote on Twitter whenever you mention this!

Good Mood Gig from SAM-e

• phampants October 13, 2009, 12:16 am

The scariest thing to do is to take the first step. But once you do, never look back. You’re life will be changed forever.

Best wishes PQ
    .-= phampants´s last blog ..26.2 =-.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:09 pm

Thanks Pham.

Yeah. Hopefully I won’t fail miserably.

• Patrick October 13, 2009, 1:21 am

I was trying to explain the Quarter Life Crisis to someone today and I said, “hasn’t there ever been a point where you realized you wanted to do something besides what you studied in college?”

I don’t think it’s a big deal with what you want to do. Go ahead get that B.A. then go do whatever it is you want to do.
    .-= Patrick´s last blog ..4 Sport Boston: ALDS and Patriots =-.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:11 pm

Well, mine doesn’t have to do with the Quarter Life Crisis…this is more me figuring out what I really want out of life.

It’s a pretty big deal to me but thanks for the support 🙂

• Anita October 13, 2009, 3:52 am

I am still “in transit” from what I do and what I want to be. Were on my way but has been temporarily benched. Having to wait bites, especially for someone as impatient as I, but I would rather get things right the first time instead of rushing only to have “my” time cut short later.

We’ll get there Sweets. And the detours we took will make us stronger and better.

xo
    .-= Anita´s last blog ..Copper =-.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:12 pm

Yeah…I hate waiting. It’s been driving me insane the past 2 years…but yes. We’ll get there.

xoxo

• Ed Adams October 13, 2009, 8:47 am

This is basically the same thing that happened to me. All I lack in completing my BS in Nursing is my clinicals, which are a Full-time thing. As well, all I lack in finishing my Pre-Med BS in Biology is 2 advanced Chem and Bio classes with labs that are only offered in the daytime and would make working full-time near impossible. Since I have to work full-time given the whole family thing, looks like I’ll always be a few credits shy of a degree. In fact, my credits are in danger of beginning to expire, now that it’s been 10 yrs since I started my degree and haven’t completed it yet.
    .-= Ed Adams´s last blog ..Mondays are Fundays………and Memoir Mondays….I guess =-.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:20 pm

That really sucks! Yeah, one of my biggest fears was my credits expiring which is why I want to finish up ASAP.

• Svaha October 13, 2009, 11:09 am

Earlier this spring my youngest daughter and I were watching a movie together. I don’t recall the movie but it must have had something to do with people in college or talking about college. My daughter looked over at me and asked what college I had gone to? She was quite for a while when I told her that I hadn’t gone to college. A few minutes later she looked at me and told that she would help out more around the house and do more chores so that I would have enough time for homework if I wanted to go to school. And I must say honestly, apart from the personal growth and sense of accomplishment, that right there is quite the motivating factor to continue my education. Not exactly sure yet how I’m going to swing the money/time/work but I’ve applied to get my BS and should hear back in a few weeks and we’ll take it one step at a time.

Good Luck to you!

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:21 pm

That is awesome!! You’ve raised quite a smart child hon!

Good luck!

• Cassie October 13, 2009, 11:50 am

Nope, no major wrong turns that need correcting. I wish you luck though! and give ya a swooft kick in the britches to get on the ball and stop procrastinating!!! lol

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:21 pm

I know right? Me and my damn procrastination!

• Kendall October 13, 2009, 12:21 pm

That losing your scholarship thing? Yeah, that was me two years ago. I then worked my ass off to get back into school (and still not have to pay a cent). I stressed. I had several major freak outs. But come May, I’ll finish with my BA in English and my BE debt free. Completely worth it.

My next first step? Is deciding whether or not to join the Navy after graduation.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 12:23 pm

Congrats on getting it done! Being debt free isn’t really an option for me since I chose to go to the most expensive school in the country. *sigh*

But I’m getting my ass in gear damn it!

Best of luck to you no matter what you decide as your next step!

• LiLu October 13, 2009, 1:09 pm

I love you, darlin, but I’m not sure now is the best time to be getting a Journalism degree…

*cue sound of 15 newspapers closing down*

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 1:12 pm

It’s more for the jobs in Communications that ask for a “Journalism BA”…And to fine-tune my writing skills.

There’s no way I’m going into the newspaper business.

Loves you too.

• gingermandy October 13, 2009, 4:29 pm

hi, have we met? oh wait, we will be in 3 days!

go for it 🙂 you know i’m gonna say that.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 11:14 pm

I CAN’T FUCKING WAIT!

• gingermandy October 13, 2009, 4:30 pm

oh and people always think journalism is all about newspapers… i have my jrn degree and never set foot in a newsroom. i also plan to keep it that way. it’s still a great degree to have, and very diverse.
    .-= gingermandy´s last blog ..I quit my job. =-.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 11:15 pm

Yeah, that’s why I want to get it…not to go into the newspaper business necessarily but to have the degree.

• Jaime October 13, 2009, 5:29 pm

I honestly don’t think you’ve been running in place for the last three years. Perhaps when it comes to education, I’m not sure since I don’t see that side of you, but in nearly every other aspect of your life you have grown up, moved on, and moved forward.

I’ve recently taken a step out of my comfort zone. A HUGE step, and done something I’ve been wanting to do (or at least dreaming of doing) for years. I married my best friend. It’s huge and defining, and it’s changing my life, but I was ready and it was the right time. I don’t know if all the ‘wrong turns’ in my life were really ‘wrong turns’ since they lead me to where I am, which is everywhere I want to be right now.
    .-= Jaime´s last blog ..Let’s all avoid the elephant today, shall we? =-.

• f.B October 13, 2009, 5:34 pm

I don’t know that I believe everything happens for reasons; sometimes we do make decisions we wish we didn’t and I think recognizing that and putting as much of your energy in the direction you want now is the best thing you could do. So whether you have regrets or appreciate the journey you’ve had, just keep moving forward.

• PrincessQ October 13, 2009, 11:17 pm

The steps that I took at the time were the ones I needed to take and I don’t regret any of the times. Every step I took brought me here but now it’s time to go on a new path.

• MinD October 16, 2009, 12:45 pm

They always say you don’t need a journalism degree to be a journalist, so nobody understood why I wanted one anyway. And I went for it – I double majored (English is my other degree) and it’s really not that bad! – and LOVE that I get to write every single day. Do what makes you happy despite what anyone else thinks.
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..…I’m a Toys ‘R Us kid. =-.