You’ve Been Cut (TV Edition)

As the Fall TV Season 2009 launches (Which I will get to in a blog at a later date), I can’t help but be reminded of great shows that somehow got canceled…and thanks to Hulu and awesome roomies who buy awesome shows, I was introduced to a couple of great shows…and then my supply was cut because those shows are now cancelled.

WTF Television? W…t…f? How many CSI spinoffs can we have? Was 90210 REALLY necessary to be brought back?

The first show that was brought into my life was Dead Like Me…I watched both seasons and the movie and I was left wondering…Why was this amazing show canceled?

Meet Georgia Lass (who prefers to be called George). She is a young Seattle college dropout who is unhappy with life. She is always at odds with her mom, Joy. One day coming back from her temp job as a filing clerk, she is hit by the toliet seat of the re-entering Space Station Mir. Finding out she is now dead, she is recruited to become a grim reaper. As in life, she is a pain in the butt in death. She does not like the details of her job, and is always at loggerheads with her boss Rube. Her fellow grim reapers don’t really take much of a liking to her either. She also learns grim reapers don’t even get a free ride in death, as they must hold down regular jobs along with their death duties.

George: This is where I felt it the first time. The universe was cocking the fuck-with-me gun.

As if the premise wasn’t awesome enough, you know who’s George’s boss?

Mandy Patinkin.

While I was still dealing with the disappointment of the fact that Dead Like Me is no longer on the air…I watched the first episode of Arrested Development on Hulu because LiLu always raves about it…

Big mistake.

Why?

Because that show is EPIC. So as I plowed through the first two seasons of the show in the matter of 4 days, saw the “On the next season of Arrested Development” only to find that there is NOT a next season…I was devastated.

Michael: [after George Sr. has been handed a jail sentence] They’re going to keep Dad in jail until this whole thing gets sorted out.
[silence amongst the family]
Michael: Also, I’ve been told that the company’s expense accounts have been frozen…
[everyone gasps]
Michael: …Interesting. I would have expected that after “They’re keeping Dad in jail.”

*sigh*

And now a show that not a lot of people are familiar with…In 2006, a great show started on NBC called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, created by Aaron Sorkin, that offered a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional sketch-comedy TV show.

Matt: How is it possible that at a time when the entire country is completely in line, including the two of us, that… how is it possible that people are so offended by a thoroughly benign sketch?! Is true patriotism really that fragile that it can be threatened by a late night comedy show?!

I guess TV shows that make you think without the introduction of rapists and pedophiles just can’t cut it.

The fact that “Life” is currently not listed on the NBC site is making me VERY upset. Is that show cut too?

Can I please cut someone? Please?

What are some TV shows that you miss?

My awesome Numbah 2 is also doing a similar blog called “Whatever Happened To? Wednesdays” and today is all about Saturday Morning Cartoons!

• Ed Adams September 23, 2009, 11:53 am

Yes, those bastards DID in fact cancel Life. I hearted that show. Suckasses!

I was turned onto Firefly after it was cancelled. Sci-fi show. Anyway, that shit was good and funny. Joss Whedon show. They cancelled that shit after one season because of money or something. Then later made a movie about it called Serenity.

I also liked Two Guys, A Girl, And A Pizza Place. Late 90’s sitcom. Ryan Reynold’s before he was famous. Funny shit. Name was too long. They shortened it. That didn’t help ratings, so they cancelled it.
    .-= Ed Adams´s last blog ..Wednesday…….WYR….and stuff =-.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:53 pm

Why the HELL would they cancel Life? It was SUCH a good show!!

I remember Two Guys, A Girl and a Pizza Place…I thought it was cute!

• A Tired Wife September 23, 2009, 12:12 pm

I loved Dead Like Me. I only have the first season on DVD … season two is on my wish list.

ANYTHING Mandy Patinkin does is awesome … from Chicago Hope to Dead Like Me. I met him in Baltimore years back … got one of his CDs signed. I love that man!

And now … I’ve bookmarked your blog … I need to come back … I think I’m going to like it here.
    .-= A Tired Wife´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – A 3-Fer =-.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:52 pm

I can’t believe you met him…That’s awesome!

And welcome to the madness…

• tinyshrimp September 23, 2009, 12:15 pm

Swingtown: I watched the first season on line, only to find out that it was canceled. It left you completely hanging too. Now I will never know if Susan really slept with her best friend’s husband Roger, if Trina kept the baby, if Susan’s husband actually slept with the little slut from work, and if Janet will ever get the stick out of her butt.

Without a Trace and The Unit were two of my favorite Sunday shows. DANG IT! Now what am I supposed to watch? (no cable)

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:52 pm

I haven’t watched ANY of those…lol

Go on Hulu. It’s the best thing EVER!

• tinyshrimp September 23, 2009, 4:07 pm

Hulu is geat, but it still won’t show new episodes. LOL

• Cassie September 23, 2009, 4:38 pm

I was PISSED at the cancellation of Swingtown as well

• tinyshrimp September 23, 2009, 4:45 pm

I really was hesitant about watching it in the first place, but it turned out to be really good.

• Cassie September 23, 2009, 4:50 pm

yeah, it was on of my MUST sees!!!

only due in small part to Grant Show’s hotness!! hahahaha

• tinyshrimp September 23, 2009, 4:57 pm

Oh he is definitely hot. I didn’t think too much of the guy that played Roger until I seen him at the pool. Then I was drooling.

“No wonder Janet keeps him locked up”

• Cassie September 23, 2009, 4:59 pm

RIGHT?????hahahahahaha

• shine September 23, 2009, 12:21 pm

Um, I LOVED Dead Like Me. I just watched it. Though I didn’t think the movie was that great and I hated the woman they got to play Daisy in it. And can I just say this? I could KISS you right now. I’ve been trying to figure out why I knew that guy for weeks. WEEKS. Prepare to die. YES!

I love Arrested Development and Studio 60. I also like Pushing Daisies, at least the first season. And there was a show called Sisters or something that I really enjoyed and they canceled like…in the middle of a sentence. I hate television studio execs who want to give me 27000 more seasons of American Idol and Survivor instead of shows I actually want to watch. (But leave my So You Think You Can Dance alone, please.)
    .-= shine´s last blog ..Wednesday Wipeouts =-.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:13 pm

Ohhhhhhh…I hated the bitch that played Daisy…she was all wrong!! I liked the movie…I just wish they hadn’t canceled the show…It was getting so good!!

PREPARE TO DIE!!!

I never got into Pushing Daisies…and I don’t watch reality TV but I watched So You Think You Can Dance when a channel picked it up in Turkey for 2 seasons…I love how friggin talented Turkish kids are.

• Jaime September 23, 2009, 12:51 pm

Well, I miss DLM for certain, and Arrested Development, AND Studio 60. Eli Stone got canceled, The Unusuals got canceled after 10 shows, Samantha Who? disappeared…. there’s something SERIOUSLY wrong with TV.
    .-= Jaime´s last blog ..“What If?” Wednesday {NaBloPoMo 23} =-.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 1:36 pm

I never got into Samatha Who?

There really is. *sigh*

It’s a shame that there was nothing to watch on TV for me last night. I used to have a show every night of the week!

• Mike September 23, 2009, 1:12 pm

What’s TV? Is that some sort of new invention, like a spin off from the internet?
    .-= Mike´s last blog ..The fat will save us all =-.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 1:35 pm

Something like that.

• Lauren September 23, 2009, 1:24 pm

I love Charmed. I wish that never ended.

Recently I was heartbroken to find out that one of my favorites The Starter Wife with Debra Messing was cancelled.

sigh.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 1:35 pm

OHHHHHHH…The Starter Wife! I remember really liking that show…she was actually charming in that.

• Malnurtured Snay September 23, 2009, 1:49 pm

If you want a good cop show — Hill Street Blues. It doesn’t get better.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:10 pm

Might check it out. Hulu is my new best friend.

• Malnurtured Snay September 23, 2009, 1:50 pm

Also, pretty sure there is a third season of Arrested Development, even if it isn’t on Hulu.
    .-= Malnurtured Snay´s last blog ..Can people actually take one without a Jenga proportion disaster? =-.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:10 pm

I’m pretty sure I’d be the happiest person alive if this was true.

• Svaha September 23, 2009, 2:36 pm

Other’s dead before their time: Firefly, Joan of Arcadia, Cupid, Veronica Mars, Freaks and Geeks, My So Called Life, Wonderfalls (if you liked Dead Like Me you’ll love Wonderfalls (other than it’s only 1 season)), Deadwood

And yes, Life is dead. I was really starting to like that show. Loved Dead Like Me the show, the movie was good but not great.

• PrincessQ September 23, 2009, 2:56 pm

I might start watching Joan of Arcadia if they have it on Hulu.

I can’t believe they killed Life.

• Cassie September 23, 2009, 4:43 pm

Pretty much every show that has been mentioned here….and I have to agree that hill Street Blues is pretty much the BEST cop show EVER!!!!

I’m just now getting caught up on BattleStar Galatica, so I will add that one….and MacGyver (I’m old school), A Different World, Punky Brewster, BJ & the Bear (REALLY old school), Ally McBeal, ALF, I could go on forever….I am pretty darn PO’d about Life..

• PrincessQ September 25, 2009, 11:44 am

ALF!!!

I love ALF!

I might check out Hill Street Blues

• MinD September 23, 2009, 5:35 pm

I saw Dead Like Me after it was cancelled, watched several episodes, and then was super bummed I could watch no more. I really liked it.

There’s so many more I’m sure I could add to your list if only my brain would properly work today.
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Specifically. =-.

• PrincessQ September 25, 2009, 11:44 am

Yeah, one of my roomies bought the box set with the two seasons and the movie…I was hooked. *sigh*

• crazyassmomma September 24, 2009, 12:40 pm

oh i so totally agree with you on Studio 60. i NEVER, EVER missed an episode of that. good stuff, good stuff.
    .-= crazyassmomma´s last blog ..i need to vent =-.

• PrincessQ September 25, 2009, 11:45 am

It really was!! I was so bummed when they canceled it.

• BigMamaCass September 24, 2009, 2:03 pm

Eli Stone was fantastic and they cut it. I am still livid about that one.

I think that it is because of reality tv. you never see any of those shows get cut. no matter HOW STUPID they are. A reality show here or there is fine, but ALL the time? NO. I like a nice drama or comedy. Now you flip thru the channels and ALL you see are reality shows and CSI shows. URGH!
    .-= BigMamaCass´s last blog ..Care for some sticky sex? TMI Thursday =-.

• PrincessQ September 25, 2009, 11:46 am

I’m sick of the reality shows and I am definitely sick of seeing a gajillion spinoffs of the same show…OK, so it was a success…I get it. There are a lot of wanna be actors…or even good actors out there so why not stick to the good, new shows and give them original roles?!

• Suzie September 24, 2009, 2:20 pm

I LOVED DEAD Like me! i watched it in Chile when i was younger and thought it was the funniest thing. Later on I saw it was on DVD and bought season one, got my sister hooked she got season two. I never put together Rube and the spaniard from princessbride! no wonder i liked him. do you know where i can see the dead like me movie?

• PrincessQ September 25, 2009, 11:47 am

I’m not sure…Just google it online. I watched it on the DVD my roomie had.

• Kevin September 25, 2009, 11:34 am

Five words: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Just when the show was getting really good, Fox killed it. Just like they killed Firefly. Still miss Studio 60, it just wasn’t given the chance to find it’s place. And I’m kinda scared the way they ended Eureka this past season…
    .-= Kevin´s last blog ..Random picture day =-.

• PrincessQ September 25, 2009, 11:47 am

Oh don’t remind me. If they cut Eureka, I will be extremely pissed.

• Denver Bowlby December 28, 2009, 8:05 pm

Hey, first I want to say great blog. I don’t always agree with your posts but it’s always a great read.