Just Dance the Sh*t Out of It

There are few moments in my life when I feel incredibly carefree and alive.

Dancing is one of those moments.

I’ve always wanted to dance…Always. Growing up, being from a country like Turkey, feeling the music and expressing myself through dance is ingrained in who I am. Anytime there was a gathering of a few people, there was always music and dancing. During my teen years, I belly-danced and I’ve been dying to take dance lessons…Everything from ballroom to latin to hip-hop. Any music that moves my soul will move my body…and get me to that place where all of my cares have been stripped away…and nothing else matter but the music and that moment.

I have gone dancing twice in the last few weeks and each time, nothing mattered. I can dance for hours…HOURS without giving a second thought to who’s around me, and who might be watching. It is MY moment, MY freedom…No one can taint it.

Which is why I love Debbie for sending me that coupon a couple of weeks ago for dance classes…I will be taking 4 classes to figure out what I love the most NOW and then pursue it. Because it is never too late to start living for me.

Given my love for dance, it is no surprise that dance movies have a special place for me. Grease, being my favorite movie, holds a special place in my heart but I’d have to say my all-time favorite has to be Save the Last Dance. I remember watching it at my best friend Jackie’s house…I’ve watched it many…MANY times since high school and the feeling I get is still the same. (All or Nothing is one of my favorite songs thanks to this movie)

Another one I just LOVE is Center Stage…as well as Take the Lead and of course Step Up, along with the classics.

And this one is courtesy of mah Number 2

Dirty Dancing – Final Dance Scene

What are your favorite dance scenes in movies?

Answers so far:

@DisposablePal: my favorite is a tie between the Uma/Travolta dance in Pulp Fiction and the Mr. Blonde dance/torture scene in Reservoir Dogs

@Shineoutloud: I’m going to have to say the dance class or last dance in Center Stage. Or the scene with the thumbs (mambo) in Dirty Dancing

@KatyComeTrue: “Bet On It” from “HSM” & “Carryin’ the Banner” from “Newsies”

Lan: The big one in Moulin Rouge

Meghan: Tango scene in The Scent of a Woman; The Breakfast Club

• LivingWicked August 10, 2009, 1:28 am

I LOVE the Pulp Fiction dance. LOVE.
    .-= LivingWicked´s last blog ..Business as Usual. =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:36 am

I have to find it.

• Mike August 10, 2009, 8:02 am

I once tried to dance and they called the paramedics because they thought I was having a seizure.
    .-= Mike´s last blog ..Jail Time =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:36 am

I’ve heard a lot of people have that experience with no rhythm.

• Cassie August 10, 2009, 8:29 am

My favorite dance scene is from ‘Salsa’ with Robby Rosa (one of the original members of Menudo)….he is dancing on a billboard sign with his girlfriend…hot!

I like all the mainstream dance movies, but the B and C List movies that center around dancing are more my cup of tea. ANYTHING that has Salsa dancing in it is something I want to watch.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:36 am

Oooh…I have to check it out!

• Cassie August 10, 2009, 10:38 am

yeah, ‘The Forbidden Dance’ is another good dance movie…..now, the acting SUCKS in both of these movies, but the dancing is HAWT!

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:39 am

Most dancing movies, the acting is sub-par but the dancing makes up for it!

• tinyshrimp August 10, 2009, 8:37 am

I love the movies that have dance or singing in them. I can’t wait to see the new “Fame”.

You would love the Corerythms workout videos. They are based on teaching you Latin dances.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:37 am

I’ll check them out, thanks 🙂

• f.B August 10, 2009, 8:42 am

The “innocent” dance in High School High.
    .-= f.B´s last blog ..by ExtenZion =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:37 am

Oh man…High School High..what a throwback

• Squish August 10, 2009, 9:07 am

Meghan stole my answer. The tango from Scent of a Woman. The street dance from Step Up 2 was pretty badass too. <3

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:37 am

Yeah it was. I should’ve put it in the blog but I was way too tired…lol

• shine August 10, 2009, 9:29 am

I had so much trouble choosing! But. I can probably quote Center Stage back to front, end to end. Having been in dance for about 14 years, I have a special place in my heart for dancing. And if it has dancing, I will watch it. Period.
    .-= shine´s last blog ..Having a bar across the street from your apartment is better than not having a bar across the street your apartment. =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:37 am

Oh, I’m jealous. I wish dance was a bigger part of my life.

• Kevin August 10, 2009, 9:43 am

Al Pacino and Gabrielle Anwar’s tango in Scent of a Woman is always a winner. (Just realized someone else already mentioned this one, DOH!) How about the dance scene from A Knight’s Tale? David Bowie doing the middle ages?
    .-= Kevin´s last blog ..Seek and ye shall find =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:38 am

OHHHHHHH…that was a good scene! I totally forgot about it!

• LiLu August 10, 2009, 10:09 am

Step Up 2 for life. Because I am so street like that.
    .-= LiLu´s last blog ..I Love Women. =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:38 am

Word.

• Carol August 10, 2009, 10:31 am

love singing and dancing movies…anything with music…they.move.me. can’t say i have one favorite.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 10:38 am

Ditto 🙂

• LA Cochran August 10, 2009, 10:35 am

I’d go even older school than Johnny and Baby (who I can watch over and over again.) Fred and Ginger are magical. They float!
    .-= LA Cochran´s last blog .."I gotta be me!" –Sammy Davis, Jr., Part II =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 11:01 am

No one does it like the legends!

• Liebchen August 10, 2009, 11:02 am

I LOVE the final dance in Step Up – and the street dance in Step Up 2. And pretty much all of them. It just gets dicey when I try to dance like that.

And by dicey, I mean ugly.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 11:03 am

I can’t remember…were you dancing with us on Friday?

And yeah…I can’t dance like THEM but I’d love to.

• The Northerner August 10, 2009, 12:07 pm

I love Center Stage! I saw your Tweet this morning and was sad I didn’t get to put in my vote, but glad that you included the dance class and production!

Umm I might put that movie in now.
    .-= The Northerner´s last blog ..Tidbits =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 12:58 pm

I <3 that movie.

• spleeness August 10, 2009, 2:12 pm

Love dancing too!! My three favorite dance videos are on the internet, not in a movie but I’ll paste them here anyway.

Tarakarina pole dancing to “ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone” — this woman is my hero. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmFq-gS3SNA

Group of dancers on stage to Justin Timberlake’s Apologize, man I love this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUb8vh_i6k

Anymore, by Stephanie Gonzales: This little girl is 10 and kicks ASS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU1BQ5mIoX8

The Obama / McCain Dance Off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzyT9-9lUyE

Adam Sevani rocks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zOKg1DFOzM

Christabelle28 does Hip Hop Lollipop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgW3IoUJElU

Can you tell I love dance?? lol
    .-= spleeness´s last blog ..free belt giveaway! And the ugliest clothes on the planet. =-.

• spleeness August 10, 2009, 2:12 pm

Wait, that was more than 3!! Oh well. 🙂

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 4:36 pm

Haha, it’s all good. I’ll check them out when I get home 🙂

• deutlich August 10, 2009, 3:38 pm

I’m way too self conscious about myself to just let go w/the dance moves. It’s a shame really.
    .-= deutlich´s last blog ..Reflection =-.

• PrincessQ August 10, 2009, 4:36 pm

With dance, I just let go.

• Alyxherself August 10, 2009, 6:16 pm

I feel you on this. I am classiclaly trained in my younger day, but have experimented with all types throughout the years.

What makes that fun is that when I freestyle in public I can blend salsa, hip hop, belly, gothpose, pole dance,and just about anything I’ve picked up together and just flow.

Keep dancing. Never stop dancing. You’lll never feel any older than you do right now as long as there is music 🙂

• PrincessQ August 11, 2009, 8:14 am

That is awesome!!

• Lauren August 10, 2009, 8:53 pm

I LOVE save the last dance, that is still my ultimate favorite dance movie!!

I used to be so self conscious about my dancing, but lately, I’ve just been loving it! So don’t care that I look ridiculous!! 🙂
    .-= Lauren´s last blog ..what if… =-.

• PrincessQ August 11, 2009, 8:15 am

Exactly! It’s about how YOU feel 🙂

• Bret August 10, 2009, 9:13 pm

I would have to go with Save the Last Dance as my favorite dance movie, but I think my favorite dance scene was Benny & Joon. Her inside and Johnny Depp on the swing outside her window.

• PrincessQ August 11, 2009, 8:18 am

I’ll have to check that out

• alexa - cleveland's a plum August 10, 2009, 9:23 pm

ahhhhh i LOVE THIS!!!! dancing movies/tv shows are my favorite!!! i think my favorite is the final dance in center stage. annnnnnnnnnnnd i want to watch it now : )
    .-= alexa – cleveland’s a plum´s last blog ..i’m a happy little gap brand enthusiast =-.

• PrincessQ August 11, 2009, 8:17 am

That final dance is so bad-ass!

• Taylor August 10, 2009, 10:52 pm

I love this!! I love that you say it’s never too late to start living, that’s amazing! So many people would say they’re too busy/old/whatever but you didn’t 🙂 This is the kind of thing that always happens to me, but I never actually pursue it. Kudos to you! Keep us updated on how it goes.

Also? I’m sorry for rambling.
    .-= Taylor´s last blog ..The Invitation =-.

• PrincessQ August 11, 2009, 8:17 am

Everyone’s welcome to ramble on my blog 🙂

Yeah, I’ve been putting a lot of things off…Time to start living 🙂

• MinD August 11, 2009, 3:35 pm

I do love the scene from Center Stage you chose – which is also your title of this entry, as I’ve clearly watched the movie too much – but the final scene is also fabulous. Actually, I just love that entire movie and I have no idea why. I’ve never been a dancer, and I don’t like “Dirty Dancing” or even “Save the Last Dance,” but something about “Center Stage” keeps me watching it repeatedly.
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Feeling like a “Foto Friday.” =-.

• Cassi August 11, 2009, 9:39 pm

That Dirty Dancing Scene still does it for me 😀
    .-= Cassi´s last blog ..Update Random Tuesday Thoughts =-.

• Patrick August 12, 2009, 7:44 pm

I just thought of my favorite Dane Cook line:

“Guys? Fuck Guys- I just wanna dance!”
    .-= Patrick´s last blog ..Fantasy Baseball: Bench Clearing Brawls Counts For How Many Points? =-.