We’re Sorta Like 7-11…

“No, I don’t want to watch that stupid movie.”
“You’re going to like it. TRUST ME”

That was the typical convo between me and my cousin whenever he made me watch a new movie. I looked at the cover. Looked at the name. Pfft. This was going to be a lame movie. I could *tell*

“Just fucking watch it”

Fine. I rolled my eyes, off went the lights and we began our weekly ritual of watching movies at midnight on a Saturday night. Lame previews. Then, the movie began…And I was hooked. I mean, from the first moment to the first shot to the first…EVERYTHING.

“HOLY SHIT, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CAT?!” *rewind* “HOLY SHIT, LET ME SEE THAT AGAIN!”

I was in love. I was in awe. This was the best fucking movie EVER. How the hell did I not see this before?

“I fucking told you”
“Pfft. It wasn’t THAT great”
Holyfuckalmighty, it was glorious.
“You’re gonna buy a copy aren’t you?”
“…Maybe.”
Fuck yeah I’m gonna buy a copy and I’m going to watch it over and over again.

Thus began my obsession with quoting a movie none of my friends had seen. It was a cult classic. It was underrated. It was unknown. It was MINE.

Then it fucking hit mainstream and it was ruined. BUT IT WAS MINE FIRST!

Monsignor: And I am reminded, on this holy day, of the sad story of Kitty Genovese. As you all may remember, a long time ago, almost thirty years ago, this poor soul cried out for help time and time again, but no person answered her calls. Though many saw, no one so much as called the police. They all just watched as Kitty was being stabbed to death in broad daylight. They watched as her assailant walked away. Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

Connor, Murphy: And Shepherds we shall be For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri Et Fili
[Guns Cock]
Connor, Murphy: Spiritus Sancti.

Doc: You know what they say: People in glass houses sink sh… sh… sh… ships.
Rocco: I got to buy you a proverb book or something, because this mix ‘n’ match shit’s got to go.
Doc: What?
Connor: Well, a penny saved is worth two in the bush, isn’t it?
Murphy: And don’t cross the road if you can’t get out of the kitchen.

Detective Dolly: So what’s the symbology there?
Paul Smecker: Well, now that Duffy has relinquished his “King Bonehead” crown I see we have an heir to the throne! I believe the word you were looking for is “symbolism.” What is the ssss-himbolism.

Paul Smecker: Why don’t you get me a cup of coffee?
Detective Greenly: Who the hell is this…?
Paul Smecker: Cafe latte.
Detective Greenly: What the fuck…?
Paul Smecker: Twist of lemon.
Detective Greenly: Chief, what the fuck is this?
Paul Smecker: Sweet’N Low.

I can clearly go on about this movie for HOURS AND HOURS….But I won’t.

This is the BEST SCENE IN THE FUCKING MOVIE! BEST…SCENE…EVER!

Tell me about your favorite UNDERRATED movies or a movie that you didn’t think you would like but it became one of your favorites. Let’s have fun today. Give me favorite quotes, favorite scenes, etc.

• Miss Tricky July 21, 2009, 9:00 am

I know!!! I saw this years and years ago and was instantly in love…now it’s everywhere. I guess that’s a good thing but I kinda feel like I lost my favorite secret, ya know?
    .-= Miss Tricky´s last blog ..Be a giver… =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 9:19 am

I know right?

I heard that they finally finished the sequel but Dafoe isn’t in it. 🙁

• Carol July 21, 2009, 9:06 am

Underrated movies….hmmm. I need coffee and I’ll try to come back! I want to watch Boondock Saints this weekend….it’s been far too long!

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 9:19 am

Yesssssss. Boondock Saints is my feel-good movie.

• Carol July 21, 2009, 9:35 am

Okay…not even in the same vein at Boondock Saints…but I absolutely loved The Spitfire Grill and The Last Samurai…both for the depth of their stories about human redemption as well as other things. I’m renting Spitfire Grill and Boondock Saints this weekend. Ellen Burstyns character in Spitfire is just…amazing.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 11:12 am

I haven’t seen either of those…maybe I should check them out!

• Alice July 21, 2009, 10:43 am

well, i’ve virtually NEVER been the first on the scene for ANYthing in pop culture / media… so i’ve never exactly “discovered” a movie. i’m pretty sure there were, like, 25 people in america who hadn’t seen The Usual Suspects when i saw it for the first time, though? so we’ll go with that 😉
    .-= Alice´s last blog ..i forgot to mention all the madras shorts =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 11:12 am

I haven’t seen that yet 😛

• LiLu July 21, 2009, 10:43 am

My favorite of favorites.
    .-= LiLu´s last blog ..I’d Call It Selling Out, if the Damn Thing Weren’t Actually So Cool =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 11:12 am

Yes yes. Another reason I loves you

• phampants July 21, 2009, 11:00 am

Go.

For some reason that movie just keeps me entertained. It’s witty, clever and so underrated.
    .-= phampants´s last blog ..ET09: And So It Begins… =-.

• f.B July 21, 2009, 11:30 am

For some reason, I can’t think of anything I like today. But I sure as hell can remember what I think is wildly OVERrated. Scarface. That movie is an indulgent piece of dribble. My favorite scene in it is the end credits.
    .-= f.B´s last blog ..her ego =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 11:34 am

I have yet to see it…lol

• Cassie July 21, 2009, 12:07 pm

I LOVED ‘gleaming the cube’ and was totally unaware anyone else even knew about that movie until talking with a friend of mine the other day!

AND….I am AMAZED at the number of people that have never seen ‘The Sound of Music’ AMAZED!!!!!!

‘Pump up the Volume’ and ‘True Romance’ were also movies that i thought no one else knew about!!!

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 1:29 pm

I’ve never seen any of those movies…lol

• Cassie July 21, 2009, 1:36 pm

NOT EVEN THE SOUND OF MUSIC?!?!?!?!?!?

goodness, what is the world coming to!?!?!?

you need to watch all of them…well, Gleaming the Cube maybe not so much….but def. the other three!!!

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 2:34 pm

I’ve been meaning to watch Sound of Music…lol

• Cassie July 21, 2009, 2:35 pm

YES..WATCH IT!!!!!! if you need a copy, send me your addy and I will mail you a copy! lol

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 2:36 pm

LMAO

Wow…you’re really excited about this movie huh?

• Cassie July 21, 2009, 2:44 pm

lmao….ummmm, just a little bit, maybe!!! LOL

• Malnurtured Snay July 21, 2009, 1:43 pm

I have to say, when I finally saw Boondock Saints, it just didn’t do it for me. I’d be hard pressed to say why. You might also like the docuimentary “Overnight”, which is about Troy Duffy’s rise (and fall) in Hollywood after marketing his script to Harvey Weinstein.
    .-= Malnurtured Snay´s last blog ..Electric Sheep =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 2:34 pm

I’ll check that out, thanks

• GingerMandy July 21, 2009, 2:08 pm

i adore the crap out of this movie. so badass.
    .-= GingerMandy´s last blog ..Murder, We Wrote =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 2:35 pm

I know. We need to have a phone date where we both watch this and talk on the phone.

Seriously.

• Patrick July 21, 2009, 2:08 pm

Ah Boondock Saints, as a Bostonian I can’t take the T over the Charles River without thinking of the little Irish jig in the movie.
    .-= Patrick´s last blog ..USA Softball Wins Gold Cup And My Heart =-.

• PrincessQ July 21, 2009, 2:35 pm

I cannot wait to visit Boston!

• tinyshrimp July 21, 2009, 3:32 pm

My favorite underrated movie is “So I married and Axe Murderer” with Mike Myers. It’s stupid, but it makes me laugh hysterically every time I see it.

Favorite Quote from it…….”Let us fly like children of the corn” (yes I have reacted that scene for my friends while in public)

• PQ July 21, 2009, 7:37 pm

I think I saw that once…

• justjp July 21, 2009, 4:31 pm

Fucking awesome movie. My #3. #1 is Lock, Stock, and 2 smoking barrels. Boo yea!
    .-= justjp´s last blog ..Can I get an amen from the back section? =-.

• MinD July 21, 2009, 4:49 pm

Yep, I *still* haven’t watched that movie. Someday. Maybe.

I’m really not sure I like anything that’s terribly underrated. I’ll have to think about this perhaps.
    .-= MinD´s last blog ..Ripped from the Headlines: Vol. 2 =-.

• PQ July 21, 2009, 7:37 pm

You have to watch it!!

And thank you for the comments on my other blogs 🙂 I saw them throughout the work day but didn’t get a chance to reply.

• Jaime July 21, 2009, 5:32 pm

My younger sister Alli got “In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti” tattoo’d on her wrist.
    .-= Jaime´s last blog ..Walter’s Birthday, Stress, and lolz@ Mike =-.

• PQ July 21, 2009, 7:36 pm

If I could get a tattoo, I totally would get the Aquitas/Veritas tattoos.

• Kendall July 21, 2009, 11:43 pm

Boondocks Saints, as you know. Although I have to ask, when did this go mainstream?

As for cult favourites, Nightmare Before Christmas, The Crow, Big Fish, Seven Samurai (and its remake The Magnificent Seven), Audition, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Heathers, Barbarella and the original Dawn of the Dead.

There are probably more but it’s too late for me to think of them.
    .-= Kendall´s last blog ..Then We’d All Make Margaritas* =-.

• Kevin July 24, 2009, 3:10 pm

Yeah, I know it’s a couple of days late, but Things to do in Denver when You’re Dead has one of the best titles in all of movies. It’s a pretty good flick with a great cast (Andy Garcia, Christopher “More Cowbell” Walken, Gabrielle Anwar, Steve Buscemi, etc.). Garcia plays Jimmy “The Saint” Tosnia who’s, basically, a co-dependent gangster.

Also, The Life of Brian. Great Monte Python film.