This Is Your Life…and Death

On an episode of House, there was a patient who got angry with Wilson because he was no longer dying. 3 months prior, he’d been diagnosed with cancer but it was a false positive. Wilson thought that the man would be happy. Naturally, House came in to the office just to watch the man’s reaction. He got angry because he was going to live.

“You aren’t suing me for a wrong diagnosis but a right one?”

He said that he was happy living in the present and now that he wasn’t dying…Wilson had taken that away.

“He isn’t mad because of a death sentence. He’s mad because I gave him a life sentence.”

This got me thinking…What we seem to forget that our lives ARE ending…one minute at a time. Death is the ONE thing that’s absolutely certain in this life…so why wouldn’t we live in the present? Do we need a terminal illness to remind us that life is precious?

I used to be stuck in the past…or I would spazz too much about the future. What if’s haunted me day in and day out…but I’ve realized that I’m wasting my life with every second I dwell. This is my life and it’s ending one minute at a time.

I could get hit by a car when I go out for lunch. I could trip and fall downstairs, breaking my neck. I could have a stroke. I could get pneumonia and not survive it. I *could* get cancer.

Any of this could happen an hour, a day or 15 years from now. I don’t need a diagnosis to tell me that I’m dying…I know I am..we all are but until then…we’re alive.

Why not live in the present and be as happy as we can be?

What if you were in that man’s shoes and you were given a “second chance” at life? Or if you were the doctor…what would your reaction be?

• SLG May 18, 2009, 8:04 am

Me likey this post. Very insightful.

However I do have to say that I’d be quite happy if someone told me I was going to live. This happened on Grey’s too awhile ago, a woman was told she was dying, then a few days later told that it was false, and she was really mad and upset because she quit her job, dumped her boyfriend and was moving to some random island lol. That might suck a little.

SLG’s last blog post..The first post that really, truly embarasses me.

• Cassie May 18, 2009, 8:21 am

I do, for the most part, live in the now. It doesn’t hurt to plan for the future, but I’m not there yet!!! lol

• Tinyshrimp May 18, 2009, 9:40 am

A friend once told me “From the moment you are born you are heading towards death”. I’m not sure where they heard that from, but it’s completely true. I always tell my friends and family how much they mean to me because I may not have tomorrow.

• perpstu May 18, 2009, 11:12 am

Bravo, bravo! Standing ovation and all that rot. Excellent advice, I think I shall pass it along today!

• justjp May 18, 2009, 11:27 am

I have a very strange point of view about death/life. While working in the ER, I was always told that we were saving lives. I however, would think quietly to myself, we are not saving lives, just prolonging them. We are all rolling down the tracks, just some are moving faster than others.

justjp’s last blog post..Back to our regularly scheduled program

• Julie May 18, 2009, 11:29 am

Very true… I tend to think way too far ahead. It makes me wonder what is a good happy medium? Life is so uncertain anyways so why should I plan the next 10 years of my life?

• LivingWicked May 18, 2009, 12:25 pm

Regardless of if I was the doc or the patient… I would always choose life. Always.

LivingWicked’s last blog post..Joy of Mommyhood #6412346:

• Jaime @ Fast Times May 18, 2009, 12:56 pm

My reaction would be utter relief. But utter relief wouldn’t have sold a TV show.

I’m not sure I know how to live in the moment. I am FOREVER thinking about what’s coming, and about what’s passed. I suppose I’m learning how to pay more attention to the Now, or at least I’m attempting to.

Jaime @ Fast Times’s last blog post..Random Thoughts On A Monday

• floreta May 18, 2009, 3:40 pm

great post! and love all the graphical quotes you have. it reminds me of the book “The Island” by Aldous Huxley where the birds(parrots) on the island go around saying “Attention! Attention!” reminding people to think, act, do in the present moment.

today is a good day to die.
    but it’s also a good day to live.

and it’s so true about terminal illness and life.. people DO seem to appreciate their lives more when they become sick. it’s a blessing in disguise.. but why can’t we tap into that now, or any day.. in sickness or health?

floreta’s last blog post..Archive Monday: Boobies

• Kendall May 18, 2009, 4:22 pm

Oh if I could have read this two years ago, so much drama could have been avoided.

Assuming of course that my stubborn ass actually listened. Knowing myself as well as I do, I rather doubt it.

Still quite thought provoking nevertheless.

Kendall’s last blog post..Conversations With A 4 Year-Old Volume II

• LiLu May 18, 2009, 8:49 pm

This was beautiful until you ended it with Bon Jovi post 2000. For reals? You could’ve put that scene from Dead Poets Society where Robin Williams is all breathing into their ears… CARPE…

DIEM!!!

Totes magotes.

LiLu’s last blog post..I’m In Love With a Clevelander

• Miss Attitude May 19, 2009, 5:01 am

Good post. I’ve actually never watched House, but you can’t go wrong with Bon Jovi at the end;-)

• Xxnnnxhz July 14, 2009, 3:37 am