≑ Menu

I’m Just an April Fool & Remembering Mitch Hedberg

Unless you’ve been living under a rock the past few weeks, you know that today is my birthday…and no…that is no joke. Though it explains a lot, don’t it? It’s OK…you can say it.

I’m not big on birthdays. Most of my birthdays have been spent crying. My family doesn’t really celebrate my birthday…or I guess I should say my mom doesn’t so I grew up never expecting presents…not from my parents and certainly not from anyone else in my life that came along.

The past couple of years, I’ve been blessed because I’ve had the most amazing present of all. I am surrounded by people who love me…who support me unconditionally and who let me love THEM. All over the country. A little around the world. All in my heart.

My most memorable birthday* is from 4 years ago…It was one of the most amazing birthdays I’ve ever had. I met my best friend for the first time (Even though we’d been chatting for a while), got phone calls from people I hadn’t talked to in YEARS & felt cherished for the first time in a very long time. I’ve come a long way from four years ago…and it’s safe to say that I feel even more cherished than I did then…

I’m very protective of my friends and I like to be proactive in their lives. If we don’t talk for a while, I’ll randomly text or email them to make them smile. My friends take care of me…the least I can do is let them know someone’s thinking of them.

Maybe I really am just an April Fool…maybe I am too caring…

Nah.

You only live once. You don’t know what will happen tomorrow…what if you had the opportunity make someone smile…and you didn’t take it…will they still be there tomorrow? (Take my word for it, they might not be.**)

So yeah. I take the time to be interactive with my friends, even online. If you don’t like it…the X is right there πŸ™‚

For those sticking around…tell me your most memorable birthday? WHEN is your birthday? What is the best present you’ve ever gotten? Worst present? If you had the whole 24 hours to spend with me on my birthday in YOUR ‘hood…what would we do?

***************************************************

Remembering Mitch…

It didn’t occur to me until today that four years ago, Mitch Hedberg passed away…On my birthday. I remember the night clearly. I was up pulling an all-nighter and got an alert. We thought it was an April Fool’s joke. You got us good Mitch, we thought. As the night progressed and the morning was closer…it began to sink in that it might not be a joke. Was Mitch really dead?

He was a great comedian. He was a great person. I wouldn’t dare let today pass without honoring his memory.

R.I.P.

———————————————

*Though I can’t forget about getting an autographed copy of Will Entrekin’s book on my birthday 2 years ago. ♥

**That’s a story for another day.

• Just Jen April 1, 2009, 12:14 am

Happy Birthday baby girl!

My birthday is shared by your brother (but you know this already!) My hood – 24 hours? Hope you got some rest because I’d drag your cute behind all over San Francisco and Berkely taking in the sites and playing pub golf and tranny bingo πŸ˜‰

• topsurf April 1, 2009, 12:16 am

Happy Birthday!

• WickedCourtni April 1, 2009, 12:18 am

I didnt know of Mitch.

I am blessed to know you though. Truly.

• Dre April 1, 2009, 12:27 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope it’s marvelous . . πŸ™‚ You deserve it.

My birthday is October 23rd. I’m sick as a dog right now and can’t remember my best/worst presents… But if we had 24 hours in my ‘hood we’d totally go into NYC and go EVERYWHERE you wanna go. I’m a pretty good unofficial tour guide, if you don’t mind taking the uhhh “scenic route”… πŸ˜€

• Meghan April 1, 2009, 1:31 am

Happy Birthday, beautiful! Lovely post…my birthday has fallen by the wayside a few years of my life. Some of it my own doing…I hope you have a FABULOUS DAY!!!

And Mitch…he is one of my all time favorites…maybe even top 3! I was so saddened by his passing…such an extreme loss of laughter went out with that man.

I’m September 18th…if you were in my hood we would grab a high class pizza at the Todd English restaurant FIGS and then have some low class laughs at Ironsides Bar and Grill…we could then take the Good Will Hunting Tour of Boston if you were so interested…or just hit Harvard Square for a free concert in the Pit!

Happy Birthday!!!
    Meghan

• Anita April 1, 2009, 4:57 am

Happy Birthday Sweetheart!!! Hope this will be most memorable one thus far πŸ™‚

Growing up I used to celebrate together with my Dad (whose Bday was Nov 6, mine is Nov 8) and I loved having family visit. I don’t really celebrate anymore and don’t think I will until married.

I threw a huge bash for my 18th though – 135 guests, DJ, the works. Fun Fun Fun!

• lacochran April 1, 2009, 8:24 am

I saw one of his performances. Brilliant! Thanks for including a clip. It’s good to be reminded.

• Miss Tricky April 1, 2009, 9:05 am

Yay!!! Birthday! My worst birthday is a toss up between 5 and 18….one involved a balloon popping game at a party ( something I am almost as afraid of as I am of spiders) and one involved being sick and homeless in my friend’s basement with the only phone call I got being from step mom to yell at me. I’ll let you figure out which one was which.

Best? 27! Good fancy dinner with folks, good martini’s and i met the lovely Mr. President!

I know we just only sort of “met” but I truly wish you the best in your new year and I hope you get drunk enough (on someone else’s dime) to do something embarassing and fun while you celebrate!

Kisses.

• Pecosa April 1, 2009, 9:32 am

Happy Birthday!!!

~Most memorable…my big blow out birthdays when I was a kid. My parents would go all out and I didn’t have to worry about coordinating anything.
    ~September 5th.
    ~Best present: this princess doll that had a projector inside her crown and would light up the ceiling…I know…weird. Worst: A herringbone gold chain bought with the mistress’ money. That shit got pawned as soon as I found out.
    ~24 hours…spend the day at South Padre Island soaking up the sun and then head to Austin to party it up on 6th.

• Svaha April 1, 2009, 9:45 am

Have a happy!!!!!

My birthday is in May and every now and then falls on Mothers Day. My brother’s bd is two days after mine, so we had to ‘share’ birthday parties growing up. For one party, I don’t remember how old I was, I came down with the chicken pox the day before the party and had to stay up in my room while all my friends hung out with my brother and his friends. That birthday blew chunks.

• Peter April 1, 2009, 9:54 am

Happy birthday!

I hope that it’s a great one.

• Tinyshrimp April 1, 2009, 10:38 am

HAAAAPPPPPYYYYYY BIRTHDAY!

I don’t think I’ve ever had a memorable birthday. It’s really just another day to me. I love celebrating my friends’ birthdays though!

• f.B April 1, 2009, 11:03 am

Happy birthday!

Though, until lately I’ve been very hush-hush about mine. It’s too much attention for me.

• +elizabeth+ April 1, 2009, 11:16 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PQ!!

I’m glad to hear someone else appreciated Mitch … he was a great comedian!

• justjp April 1, 2009, 12:00 pm

Happy Birthday! Your gift will be my undying love and admiration. Lets face it, I’m broke and thats all I have to give. Better than nothing I guess.

• Twinkie April 1, 2009, 2:13 pm

Hope you have a GREAT birthday. My son was an April Fool’s Baby too.

My favorite birthday I think was the first time me and my best friend decided to go to Vegas for our birithdays. It’s been a tradition ever since. πŸ™‚

• LiLu April 1, 2009, 4:58 pm

Happy Birthday, love. Glad I could be around for this one πŸ˜‰

• Friday13 April 1, 2009, 9:56 pm

Happy birthday!

Hmmm … memorable birthdays? Can’t remember any, so it seems none of them is worthy enough of being up in the “memorable” level.