One Short of a Quarter

Do you know what today is? March 31? Yes.

It’s also the last day I’m going to be 23. (For those that can’t count, my birthday is TOMORROW, April 1). It shouldn’t matter that much. 24 is not that big a deal after 23 right? I mean, after 21…isn’t 30 the big one? No wait…it’s 25. Oh yeah! That’s why I’m freaking out a little. Just a little…because I see grey hairs on my head yet when I look through the mirror, I see this girl who is still ready to crash at any given moment and will giggle uncontrollably at something super lame the next.

*pluck pluck*

Unfortunately, in addition to the fat-ass gene (Literally) and the just-big-enough boob gene (Actually, thanks for that), my parents have passed on some genetic gems: Grey hair that will sneakily take over my beautiful brown hair…by the time I’m 32. Possible early menopause as well. Thanks grandma! Stress…Is that even a gene? It should be. I’ve never been one to worry about age until recently. It’s like…people expect things from me now.

“Where did you go to school?”
“Oh I’m still going…I’m going for a 10 year record.”
“What do you do?”
“I twat all day. Oh you mean for a job? I deal with people throwing temper tantrums.”
“Oh are you married?”
*blank look*
“What do you want to do with your life?”
“Well, I wanted to be a lawyer…and then I wanted to have a suga daddy…the sex slave thing started to sound good for a while there. Now, I’m not so sure. Why, are you hiring?”
“So you write?”
“Technically speaking.”
“What do you write?”
*looks around…whispers* What do you need written?”

PQ Badge

My life has derailed in a major way. I know this. But the good thing is…there are plenty of trains out there right? I should just catch the next one.

So…24. Hmmm…Jack Bauer.

I think I just came.

*ahem*

So this is the year I…
Move out. Huge, if you’ve known me for longer than 5 minutes, you already know.
Finish my degree? Possibly.
Launch my business? Quite possibly.
Travel off the east coast? After I move out, fo’ sure.
Publish my first book? It might just be an e-book but yes.
Start dating? *blank stare* We’ll come back to that one.
Derail and have to rethink my plans? Most likely.
Survive? Always.
Find a reason to laugh everyday? Without a doubt.
Intimidate people by being as real as it gets? I don’t think I have a choice.
Love? Unconditionally.
Be afraid? Aren’t we all sometimes?
Make new friends, get stronger with the old ones & weed out the shit ones? Every.day.
Live? Even if it terrifies me.

What was a turning point in your life? Which birthday was the most significant? When did the biggest changes happen in your life? Do you want to add any more to my list of things to experience by the time I’m*gasp* 25?

PS: For the DC Peeps…Birthday week Schedule:
Tue: Lunch with LiLu (Well, if our work schedules don’t kill us first). Happy Hour With the Cool Kids.
Wed: Lunch (Open for now if anyone wants to take me up. Yes, that is my birthday. COME ON). Happy Hour @ Lucky’s with coworkers…If you want to swing by and say Happy Birthday, that’s where I’ll be.
Thurs: Lunch is open for now.
Friday: Third Annual PQ Birthday Shenanigans Lunch @ Rumors with Meg. (TMI Thursday this week will be about LAST year’s shenanigans…Oh yeah…it’ll be good.)

• LivingWicked March 31, 2009, 2:49 am

happy almost birthday!

my most monumental birthday so far has been my 18th.

that was the year that changed my life.
    the year that i broke away from the norm and joined the military.

i would not be me today if i would have bitched out. true story.

• Anita March 31, 2009, 3:35 am

Happy almost Birthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!! We will have to celebrate 10 days late 🙂

Not sure I am able to pin down one Bday as the turning point – my life is constantly changing directions. I did quite “enjoy” the 35th which was spent working out of the California office. All.frickin.day.and.night. (but then Ron more than made up for it by taking me to dinner the following day. He rocks)

Anyway… Here is to every single one of your dreams come true.

xo

• topsurf March 31, 2009, 4:32 am

Happy Birthday…well tomorrow! I have left it here before in your comments, mine was my 24th. You look like you have a good hold on your impending birthday. I wish you the best year of your life! …..and send you ooodles of love! xoxoxoxo

• clairemontgomerymd March 31, 2009, 7:04 am

happy birthday pq! i’m 37 and have the same answers to many of those questions. no worries though, every year gets better and better. but you’ll never believe that at 24. i didn’t.

• Punisher March 31, 2009, 8:12 am

😉

• justjp March 31, 2009, 9:06 am

Mine hit me this year turning 28. I never though I would have it drop like it did, but hey what can you do. Oh, and I am so on the 12 year plan for school! Damn Ph.D. aspirations…

• Miss Tricky March 31, 2009, 9:19 am

Look at you with a birthday schedule! whore. ( I keed, I keeeeed.)

Yay for birthdays! 24 was my big one, I had had my son 8 days earlier, which didn’t seem so young at the time…….

Live huge, and stay the “plumpinest”. muah!

• Cassie March 31, 2009, 10:32 am

I would have to say that 25 was my best year…on the verge of graduating college, was living in an apt for the first time, working to TRY to make ends meet, making all my own decisions, met Jeff and Kay, my now best friends earlier that year…..my 25th year on this planet was prolly my best one ever.

#30 wasn’t any slouch either, 30 was another great year!!!

• perpstu March 31, 2009, 10:49 am

I love this. You are awesome. Happy early birthday!!!! BTW, just a little hint from a lady who is also genetically predisposed to the early grays….color, color, color. I’m 35 and have yet to glimpse a gray hair on my noggin! XOXOXO

• pecosa March 31, 2009, 10:59 am

You’re ONLY turning 24. You’ve still got years to go for the grey hair and pre-menopause. (I think the stress gene IS hereditary and it skips a generation bcs my grandma and I are insane and my mom and M are like ducks, everything rolls off)

My turning point was 22. It was my first birthday as a single, independent woman.

How ’bout we modify the dating one: “Start dating real men”

• Tinyshrimp March 31, 2009, 11:27 am

What was a turning point in your life? They day I got on a bus and moved to Oklahoma. 32 hours away from my family and friends with 2 suite cases and around $200.

Which birthday was the most significant? My 26th. That was the day that the man I’d always considered my second Dad told me that he was in love with me. “I’ve only met two angels in my life. My wife (who by then had passed away) and you”. Things just kept going down hill from there that year. I was REALLY happy to turn 27.

• Jaime @ Fast Times March 31, 2009, 12:40 pm

I’m excited about every birthday, no matter how old I am. 😀

• f.B March 31, 2009, 2:18 pm

Happy pre-Birthday!

My trained derailed months ago. Actually, I think the conductor kicked me out of the moving train, backed up over my spirit and left me there. And it’s been probably the best thing that’s happened to me in years. Sometimes we all need a change, even if it’s forced upon us.

• Aymie March 31, 2009, 2:56 pm

We’re in the same boat. The one that leaves for 24…However, my trip doesn’t begin until May 21st.
    Everyday, every breath, we inch closer to death.
    Age will not intimidate me.
    Cockroaches will.
    lol
    I am an old soul with a youthful heart. I can’t wait to be the hot grandma, and I will enjoy every step of the way there.
    Like you, I’m still in school, but I just recently started, so I have a bit to go. Nothing’s going to come between me and my dream, so I’m not too worried.
    Hang in there hunnie, some things will get better, others worse, but you will have gained the wisdom along the way that will get you through anything.

• LiLu March 31, 2009, 3:34 pm

You need to add “Happy Hour with the Cool Kids” to this for tonight.

Just sayin.

• Twinkie March 31, 2009, 5:40 pm

Sometimes people get grey hairs prematurely because of a vitamin K deficiency. Try a supplement and see if at least that’s ONE thing you can shake off your gene pool. No really. Try it. It might just work!

• lacochran April 1, 2009, 8:10 am

Happy birthday! It was good to meet you last night even if we didn’t get much chance to talk.