Sinful Princess: Envy

Sinful Princess: Gluttony

Sinful Princess: Wrath

Have you ever looked at someone else & go…”Man, I wish I had their *fill in the blank*”. We’re all guilty of it. At some point in our lives, we’ve felt envious of others, whether they were someone around us or a celebrity that was shining on our TV screen. Envy is defined as “a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another’s advantages, success, possessions, etc.” The important thing is to be able to overcome that envy and not let it fester to turn into jealousy. A little envy now and then could be a good way to jump start yourself & go after the things that you want. Of course, it could also become a dangerous bomb that will turn into self-pity, feelings of discontent & an excuse to put other people down, vindictively.

Don’t let your envy destroy you.

I’ve felt envious of others in my life. When I was in middle school, I was always a little envious of the girls with pretty long & straight hair. I had short hair back then and I thought that I could never be pretty unless I had hair like them. I got over it in high school and stopped caring about it. Funny how when you stop caring about something insignificant, life grants it for you.

I used to feel envy towards my peers who seemed to have a “normal” life, the ones who didn’t have to deal with being treated like 12 while having the burden of a grown up. I wanted to be carefree like them and how I envied their simple lives…then I realized…that’s all it is. Simple. My life may not be the easiest or the most “normal” but who I am today is a result of the struggles that I’ve endured since I was a little girl. If I had a “normal” life, would I be as determined & headstrong? Probably not.

I used to want to be taller. Why couldn’t I have the skinny, lean legs some of the girls in my class? I always felt short but as I grew older, I realized that, thanks to my not so tall, normal length legs, I can wear heels without feeling awkward.

It’s funny because all those people that I envied are now the ones who are trying to put their lives together & some of them envy me. I’ve figured out some of the reasons people put ME down & it is because they envy me.

Funny how things work out.

Do you feel envy towards others? In your life or ‘famous’? Has there ever been anything that you envied and once you got it, you saw that it really wasn’t worth all the glitter? How do you feel about envy in general?

• I-66 March 10, 2009, 9:06 am

There’s a fine line between envy and jealousy, between wanting what someone has and hating that they have it. I don’t envy celebrities necessarily, but I do envy those who legitimately love what they do for a living, who don’t go to work because it isn’t work at all.

• Cassie March 10, 2009, 9:39 am

I’m not really that envious of other people. I envy my dog, cause she can sleep whenever the eff she wants (my cat too). I’m envious of fish, cause the ocean is pretty much the awesomest place EVER! I envy birds cause they get to see the Earth in a whole new way!

People are just people….no one of them better or worse than me…we are all just different and thank the gods for that!!!!

• Jaime March 10, 2009, 10:15 am

I generally feel envy towards other if they appear happier than I am. Or of they have no flab on their stomach. But whatev. I don’t hate myself because I’m not as thin as I used to be. I’m still thin. I’m just healthier.

I don’t know what I’m saying here.

• Tinyshrimp March 10, 2009, 10:43 am

If someone says that they have never envied anyone…………….I’d say they were lying. We’ve all done it at some point. Even if we don’t realize it. Like you, I’ve always envied the girls with long lean legs, and the ones that were teeny tiny and could wear whatever they wanted without looking like a lumpy potato. Heck, sometimes I still do. I can admit it. LOL! As I’ve gotten older though I’ve learned to be happier with who I am though.

Now if I could just get Angelina Jolie to leave my man alone everything would be good. 😉

• perpstu March 10, 2009, 11:09 am

I think it’s human nature to be envious of people who have things or feautres you want. The dangerous part is when that envy veers into all consuming jealousy! I think you are fantastic (you wouldn’t be a Princess if you weren’t) and I agree with you, life experience is what makes us who we are. I look at some of the girls I went to high school with and envied because of their ability to be carefree and have no responsibility. I wouldn’t trade places with any of them today. I am who I am and where I am because of my challenges and struggles and that is amazing!

XOXOXO

• LiLu March 10, 2009, 11:23 am

I agree with 66 that envy and jealousy are two different animals. I’m okay with my petty, superficial jealousies, like when I tell a friend that I would kill for their stomach, etc. The only ones that really bother me are when other people have something I don’t think they deserve. But once you realize, ‘that’s life’ (and I’m probably richer/stronger/better for it), things fall into place. 🙂

• pecosa March 10, 2009, 11:47 am

The envy bug bites me often, but now I can get over it in a pinch. I used to be horrible. I would sulk and let the “why them and not me” mentality consume me.

Now my envy is generally towards people’s perspective on life “I wish I was able to roll with the punches as easy as her” and what not, but I’ve learned to turn that envy into motivation. And wow, now I’m tooting my provervial horn, but damn, it feels goood! lol

• f.B March 10, 2009, 1:47 pm

I wish I had a lot of things other people had. Sometimes I wish I could pick and choose; a little from him, a bit from her… But if I was supposed to have it, I would; not because of fate or anything like that. But if there was something I really wanted, I’d have worked to get it or am working to get it now. Everything else I can just let be. At least this is what I tell myself when I find myself envious.

• floreta March 10, 2009, 2:18 pm

this could be your march blog carnival submission! the topic is ‘green’ with envy, green revolution, etc.

but yeah, i struggle with this one a lot too. i’m always comparing myself 🙁 even in the blog world lol.

• lacochran March 11, 2009, 2:17 pm

I am envious of people who think others are envious of them. 😉

• Carry Grgurevic January 18, 2010, 11:38 pm

I came here from google. After reading

• Indian Curry Recipes December 7, 2010, 12:04 am

found your site on del.icio.us today and truly liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some a lot more later ..

——————————————–