To The Love Of My Life

Dear Boy,

Just when I think that my love for you can’t get any deeper, another day passes…I see your sweet face, hear your laugh and my heart just grows bigger to allow the love that I feel for you. When you first came into my life, I was lost, broken and a ship without an anchor. You became my anchor to life. You became my life. Every breath you took, every giggle that escaped your lips became my purpose. I vowed never to let anything get in the way of your happiness and well-being and you became my sole reason for waking up every morning. Being away from you was unbearable. I would rush home every day to see your beautiful eyes, and hold you in my arms.

Sweet sweet boy…

You were the best little brother a big sister could ever ask for…The day that you were born was my rebirth. At 7, I was alive with each breath you took. Each tear you shed broke my heart and I wanted to do everything I could do to make you smile. Sometimes I was the cause of those tears because I was a kid too…and sometimes I didn’t treat you in the best way. We fought. You were just a baby and sometimes…sometimes I was just a kid. But you were my everything. You ARE my everything. As we grew older, I feared that we’d grow apart…and for a while there, we did. I was lost again and this time, I couldn’t have you as my anchor because my love for you wouldn’t allow it. It was too much of a burden for you and never could I talk to you about my fears because now, you were the one who was confused and you needed me.

I wanted to leave but I stayed. I stayed for you because I knew you wouldn’t understand if I left…I couldn’t bear to think that for one second, you would think that I abandoned you…so I stayed.

I don’t regret that. At all. Because today, you understand me. Today, you are my best friend once again and I can talk to you. I can share my pain and my joy. You are still just a boy…you are still my baby brother…bratty, spoiled and sometimes selfish…but you’re allowed to be…you’re 16. As much of a teenager as you are, it doesn’t take away from your heart…your compassion…your pride.

My darling boy, I’m so proud of the man that you are becoming even if you are misguided sometimes…because you recognize your own downfalls…and you want to make the best of your life. You have a heart full of love and passion. You are kind and considerate. You are growing up to be an amazing, wonderful man.

I may never have a child of my own but watching you grow up, I’m as fulfilled as I can be. You’ve gone from my baby brother to my best friend…though you’ll always be my baby boy.

People will come and go out of our lives. There’ll be days that go by without us seeing each other or speaking to each other…Life will go on but one thing will never change. You are and always will be the greatest love of my life and nothing in this world will ever stop me from being there for you. Unconditionally and forever.

Thank you for coming in to my life when you did…Thank you for being you.

Love always,
Abla

***********************************************************

This post was written for February Blog Carnival @ 20Somethings. The prompt: In honor of Valentine’s Day, write a love letter or a break-up letter. The letter can be addressed to anyone or anything– and from anyone or anything– past, present, or future.

• PrincessQ February 4, 2009, 8:33 am

Funny story. When I was writing this last night, my bro came in my room to feed me french fries…I apparently forgot to eat them with my dinner so he said “I have to watch you eat these”…When I said “I don’t wanna”…He fed them to me and then said “Bitch. I love you” & walked out…LMAO

• Sarahh February 4, 2009, 8:39 am

I love this. Not just because it is beautiful but because it is honest. It leaves in the not so pretty parts and for that it is even more beautiful.

Jealous of your bond, but a better person for understanding siblings and more about you!

• Damaris February 4, 2009, 8:42 am

love Love LOVE this post!!!! What a beautiful declaration of love! The pictures are TOO CUTE!!! You two were such gorgeous kids!!!

• perpstu February 4, 2009, 9:14 am

I’m so happy that you and your brother have such an amazing relationship. Treasure it!

• Meghan February 4, 2009, 9:47 am

Aw, that actually brought a tear to my eye. I know how much you love your brother and I know that you do alot of the things you to for your brother!

I hope he knows what a great sister he has!

• Cassie February 4, 2009, 10:15 am

younger siblings do that to you every time!!!

• topsurf February 4, 2009, 12:12 pm

Damn it! YOU did make my CRY! I only got one sentence in and it started! I said it last night and I will say it again. Your relationship with your brother is so precious. It shines of love between the two of you. I could listen to you talk about him / read what you write about him and your relationship everyday all day long. Your relationship is special, full of love, caring, compassion, just amazing. This is the best thing I’ve read in a long, long time. I just adore you. Period.

• f.B February 4, 2009, 12:17 pm

younger brothers are the best. but they’re also fascinating, because in some ways it’s like watching what life would’ve been like had you been born a few years later

• Squish February 4, 2009, 1:10 pm

I always wanted a younger brother. I think it would be easier than sisters. Much as I love my sisters, I asked my mom repeatedly when I was little if we could trade the baby in for a brother instead. Now that I’m older it’s weird to think how that would have changed who I am…

/tangent

I love this. and you.

• Devyl February 4, 2009, 1:14 pm

This is absolutely beautiful darlin.

xoxo

• Cookie February 4, 2009, 1:49 pm

Excellent blog, this will be something always treasured by the two of you.

• Tinyshrimp February 4, 2009, 2:18 pm

Your relationship with your brother is truly a gift. I couldn’t stand my brother while we were growing up. He was the pain in my backside. Now he calls me at least two or three times a week and I would do anything for him.

• bethany February 4, 2009, 2:47 pm

That’s so sweet.

• Jaime February 4, 2009, 3:00 pm

OK. So when I saw this title pop up on my reader I thought “It’s about her brother”. And I knew when I read it that I’d completely understand.

I was right. And I just called my brother.

Sean is always making fun of me about it, last night on TS he announced to our friends that if Robert and I lived in Arkansas we’d be married. ROFL. Gross, but funny. He always means it in good fun. I’m glad my love for my brother is so visible. I’m glad yours is too.

• Unbreakable February 4, 2009, 4:47 pm

That’s just beautiful; I wish I had that type of relationship with one of my sisters

• cajunvegan February 4, 2009, 10:36 pm

I envy women who have brothers. I have a little sister with fake boobalahs.

• floreta February 9, 2009, 4:45 pm

wow, this is really cute. makes me wish i had siblings.