First Impressions

“So I was in the garage and noticed that his car was still there. Then…I realized that uh…he was sitting in it.”
“Did you say hi?”
“NO.”
“Why NOT?”
“Cuz uh, he was in his car!”
“You should’ve at least waved”
“Uh no. Cuz in order to wave, I’d have to kinda lean down cuz he has a sports car”
“So?”

This is a real conversation that went on between Kelly and me a few months ago about a cute guy that I would see in front of my building EVERYDAY.

“JUST TALK TO THEM” my friends would yell at me on the phone because every time I came back from lunch, I’d see the cute guy in front of the building, call Kelly and go “Oh my god, I saw him again”. She’d ask me the same thing “Did you at least wave?” …”No..but I will next time.” …”Yeah, OK”.

It’s not that I don’t want to..it’s weird. I can flirt with all the guys at Rumors or any other place I go to but if I really like a guy, then I get SUPER shy. It’s like, if I think it’s just fleeting, then I’m all bubbly, outgoing and smart-ass and teasing. If it’s a guy that I might have potential with, I get all tongue tied and turn into mush. This leads to me giving off a kind of snobby impression, which I’m not AT ALL.

Most people don’t think “Shy”…they think “Snobby bitch”. I can’t tell you the number of people that have told me, after we became friends, that they thought I was a super bitch when they first saw me, etc. When I was 18 and I was back in Turkey, at the beach, I became friends with these two girls that were 16. They told me that they were scared of me because they thought I was a bitch.

Of course, I give off a lot of impressions online too, the biggest one being that I’m an attention whore…which…uh…I am. So that’s not a lie. And yes, I’m obnoxious, at times…but I’m also a lot of fun and I KNOW I’m a good friend. I CAN be a bitch if provoked or if I’m just in a mean mood…but overall, the first impressions that people have of me tend to be based on what they think I’m feeling versus what I’m fighting with inside.

Despite the obnoxious attitude and the loud bubbly personality, I’m still VERY self-conscious and shy, though I’ve gotten better. What people think of me don’t affect me that much anymore but there’s still that “Oh they’re going to get sick of me ANYWAY” attitude that I have which effects my interactions with people. Just cause you think I’m sexy doesn’t mean I do.

Anyway. What was I saying?
First impressions.

What were some of your first impressions of me? Have they changed? What do you think of me NOW? What are some first impressions people have of you? Are they wrong or right on?

• NotAMeanGirl December 28, 2008, 8:50 pm

I never thought you were shy! I thought you were fun loving, funny and that you have a good heart. I still think all that… but shy? Man… that was a shocker.

NotAMeanGirl’s last blog post..Merry Christmas

• Bumbles December 28, 2008, 11:22 pm

You crack me up and your postcards amongst your post are perfect. So, my first impressions of you are that you are funny and perfect ;0) Oh yeah – and WAVE to the hot guy already!!!

Bumbles’s last blog post..ON MOVIES ~ Parent Free Zone…

• LivingWicked December 29, 2008, 12:26 am

you are a nerd.

LivingWicked’s last blog post..‘Til I drop

• Cassie December 29, 2008, 10:33 am

What were some of your first impressions of me? That you were a big GOOB
    Have they changed? NOPE

What do you think of me NOW? That you’re a big GOOB

What are some first impressions people have of you? That I’m all no-nonsense or that I don’t take any crap

Are they wrong or right on? kinda both, at first people think that I am too serious to joke around, but we all know that ain’t true!!!

• Tinyshrimp December 29, 2008, 4:09 pm

my impression of you is that you are Chicken Little “BAWK BAWK”

• bethany December 29, 2008, 4:18 pm

I get that snobby bitch thing a lot, because I’m really, extremely shy.

It’s difficult to explain to people that observing simply means that you’re trying to assess whether or not you can approach and that “observing” look, usually means just that. It’s easy to mistake the two, though…

• Thing December 29, 2008, 4:24 pm

I totally get that.

I almost couldn’t talk to girls in until in high school I got it in my head that the girls wouldn’t be interested in me. Then the pressure was off and I could chat and flirt easily, but if I ever thought I might have a chance and wanted to try I would revert to Mr. Mumbly

• Just Jen December 29, 2008, 4:53 pm

Has always loved you and your whoremongering ways…

I’ve always seen that little girl locked inside you, frightened and afraid of the world, not able to scream out because she was afraid no one would listen. And I’ve watched you grow over the past years into a butterfly – emerging from your cocoon slowly and timidly, but showing your beautiful wings more and more as time goes by.