Can I say “Merry Christmas”?

I heard this question…oh, about 5 times today. I get it. People are trying to be considerate because I *am* Muslim and they don’t want to offend…but to me, there’s nothing offensive about someone wishing me a Merry Christmas. It’s the same as Happy Holidays…at least in the US, over the years, that’s what it’s become. I don’t understand why people get so offended over the use of Merry Christmas over Happy Holidays or Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas…

Isn’t the whole point just to wish the other person a joyful and peaceful time, whatever it is they celebrate?

At least, that’s what I think. If the intention behind it is pure, why do the words matter? I’m Muslim. Someone wishing me a Merry Christmas does not offend me nor do I feel like I’m being ‘forced’ to celebrate a Christian holiday. As long as you pass on your good wishes, I can choose to celebrate whatever, however I choose. It’s the blessing that counts…isn’t it?

It should be.

To clarify…in Turkey, we celebrate New Year’s. Before we moved to the US, we gave presents to each other for New Year’s Eve…and it usually coincides with a Muslim holiday. When we moved to the US 13 years ago, and my brother was so young, we decided to go ahead and do the tree and presents on Christmas…just so it would be easier for him to adjust to being in *this* society. Did it take anything away from our traditions and culture? Not at all. Did we become ‘Americanized’? Maybe in the social sense but that didn’t change our religion, faith or heritage. Your identity and faith is what you make of it. The words that others use in their greeting doesn’t define you.

You define you so remember that this holiday season. When someone wishes you a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays in the street, return their blessing with a smile. The world’s gone down the shitter and most people are probably having a bad day…a smile from a stranger might be just the medicine that they need.

Happy Holidays from the PQ Nation to all of you.

• Caroline December 24, 2008, 1:14 am

EXACTLY.

You got the point of the greeting exactly right. The point is to wish someone a peaceful, joyful, and merry holiday season. Merry Christmas, PQ!

• Mystery December 24, 2008, 2:37 am

Well said. I hope it is peaceful and beautiful for you and your family. xoxo

• topsurf December 24, 2008, 6:34 am

Well said. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

topsurf’s last blog post..WW ~ #8

• Cassie December 24, 2008, 10:04 am

I say Merry Christmas, just to piss off all the whiny people!

AND Happy Holidays to you too!!!

• Beanz December 24, 2008, 11:44 am

Happy Kwanzaa…..Merry Christmas…..Have A Fun Festivus and Enjoy “Let A N1nja Borrow Your Phone Day”. I think I got them all and great post 🙂

• bethany December 24, 2008, 12:41 pm

I wonder why they bother asking… If they fear it, they should just say Happy Holidays, and be done with it. ;o)

• Jaime December 24, 2008, 12:56 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years sweetheart. I love you so much!

• Ron December 24, 2008, 1:40 pm

Just say what’s in your heart.

Merry Xmas, PQ.

xo

• Bryce December 24, 2008, 6:32 pm

Of course. Even you heathens believe Christ was important…LOL Merry Christmas, doll.

• pecosa December 24, 2008, 8:38 pm

Happy Holidays to you and yours. Love ya and I hope you have a fabulous time!

pecosa’s last blog post..Random Musings Over White Wine

• Eric Brooks December 25, 2008, 10:29 am

“It’s the blessing that counts…isn’t it?”
    EXACTLY! I’m kind of laughing at the weenies who are writing “Happy Holidays” right now for fear of offending anyone. LOL! To me, “The Holidays” means Thanksgiving to New Years.

When Hannukah started on Sunday, I wished people a Happy Hannukah. When Ramadan starts, I’ll be wishing others “Eid Mubarak”… would it kill people to understand their friend’s cultures?

Atheists celebrate Christmas, and I even had Muslim friends that had a tree up and exchanged gifts… Christmas doesn’t necessarily have to have a religious connotation.

Eric Brooks’s last blog post..The NEW and IMPROVED Magic Crystal Ball!

• Lulubelle B December 25, 2008, 6:14 pm

Doesn’t bother me at all.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy New Year!!

Lulubelle B’s last blog post..Transformations

• timethief December 25, 2008, 6:22 pm

I’m not offended by anyone saying Merry Christmas to me. My reply is Happy Solstice or Happy Holidays.

timethief’s last blog post..Happy Holidays