Prince Charmin™

(Since it’s coming down to the wire for 2008, I figured I’d start re-posting some of Best of the Best posts of the year…Enjoy!)

I was never the girl that believed in all of the stories of Disney. I grew up reading books and watching Ren & Stimpy, ALF & action movies. It wasn’t until I grew a little older when I started watching Disney movies and started noticing the Prince Charming of every story. We all know Prince Charming…

For every Disney Princess, there was a Prince Charming. Perfect smile, courteous, willing to go to the ends of the earth for his love. Every story had a happy ending and it was OK for us to have those misconceptions when we were little kids but then Prince Charming began to spill over into every romantic movie. Every love story had a Prince Charming of its own and slowly, our views on relationships as a whole began to fit into a mold.

The reality is that no relationship can fit into a mold. There are countless articles in magazines every month on how to please your man and how to make sure that he fits into a mold. There are websites and books devoted to the subject of “Don’t change your man BUT this is what your relationship should be like.” We forget that it’s OK if our relationship can’t be measured by a quiz in a magazine or rules from a TV show.

The way that you and your partner fit together is like a puzzle. Every piece is dependent on who you are and who he is…The little quirks, the experiences you bring with you and your expectations. Your relationship is based on your growth together, the words you bring to the table and the little things that make you smile in a way that makes sense to you. The day you stop comparing your relationship to the expectations of the rest of the world is the day you will be happy and healthy with your partner.

For me? I’d rather have a Prince Charmin™. The kind of guy who’s dependable and soft but sturdy when he needs to be. Someone that I can count on to make me laugh but be there for me in my quiet moments when I need to just be held. I’d rather have the guy who lets me know that he’s there rather than a guy who follows the guidelines of “How to be the perfect boyfriend”. I’d rather have a guy who knows MY quirks and who knows that sometimes I just need to be stupid to forget about my stress…or know that if I am a little afraid of happiness, it’s OK because with patience, I’ll come around.

For me, a relationship doesn’t have to fit into a mold. I don’t have to justify my relationship by putting a label on it because the rest of the world only understand words like “boyfriend”, “roses”, “PDA”, “anniversary”. If it makes sense to me…and it makes sense to him…my happiness only depends on ME, not the rest of the world.

Life is too short to try and have your happiness judged and justified to be validated because while you’re waiting for confirmation from others that you’re happy, you could be missing all the best moments that will define your memories of happiness and love.

So go ahead and indulge in the romantic movies because we all need a little hope and mush in our lives…but remember to take a step back and learn to define who you are…and look for your own Prince Charmin™ who’ll make sure that you are taken care of by YOUR standards.

What works for you in your relationships? What do YOU look for in a partner?

• Cassie December 22, 2008, 8:49 am

I like for a guy to just leave me the hell alone! lol
    but I do agree with the blog….it’s better when ‘your’ partner knows the ins and outs of ‘YOU’

• Ron December 22, 2008, 11:56 am

*LOVE*

I’d love a woman who understands that some things just WON’T change.

pee ess. The link from Facebook doesn’t seem to work. Could be because of the ‘TM’

xo

• LivingWicked December 22, 2008, 12:34 pm

I look for honesty and communication.

Sexual Chemistry.

unconditional love.

LivingWicked’s last blog post..How To Make Strawberry Lemonade

• One Time December 22, 2008, 1:09 pm

When I first saw the title of this post, I thought you were going to be writing about Charmin tissue paper!

One Time’s last blog post..Pap Smear Training

• Squish December 22, 2008, 3:55 pm

I wanted absolute and brutal honesty. Fun-loving. Someone who could, would and did drink as much as I did. A sports geek. Someone who WANTED to understand me. Sexual in the extreme. Romance….

Squish’s last blog post..Let’s Talk Toilet Paper

• Okesanjo Akeem December 23, 2008, 1:11 am

What is LOVE? the answer is not fetch.
    Different people give different definition to love.
    But to me, it means, acceptance of another person’s attitude.

I have many experiences when it comes to this topic, been a physically
    challenged man, I still find many ladies clamoring to be dating me.
    Although, I like most of them, but must be very careful with them.

I cherish love very much, therefore, I always make myself when I
    want to play love.

Okesanjo Akeem’s last blog post..Seminars on herbal medicine

• topsurf December 23, 2008, 6:07 am

I’ve met my prince charming. But he is MY prince charming. He is NOT what Disney or anyone else wants me to believe Prince Charming is. I knew when I first met him that he was my prince. I believe that if you go out actively searching for Prince Charming you probably will never find him. You need to look for someone who is a Prince in your eyes and not some movie or book wants you to believe. Growing up I always knew the kind of guy I wanted to marry, and low and behold I actually did. I consider myself on a daily basis a very, very lucky girl. Oh and I totally agree with what One Time said, I totally thought this post was going to be about TOILET PAPER! 😀

topsurf’s last blog post..Slipping Through My Fingers

• ssnuffy December 23, 2008, 6:18 am

Prince Charming is Dead, He past away while you were in your Teens. hopefully. To many folks believe in the deception he stood for. life is not a Fairy Take and it will offer both good times and Bad. Great expectations have a way of hitting us right in the Kisser. love is a gift from God. but it will not be to a perfect Mate. Love will need to be tender, and forgiving if it is to grown. ther give in a relationship 110 percent, bothways. Your lover will screw up. You will too. thats reality. If you can except this you have a chance to nurture and protect the heart that binds you to your mate. wisdom says look closely before you open your heart to someone. what you see is what you get. To many except the “Quirks” thinking they can change them with time. Life is short, But the journey very long if you screw up. And the hurt follows a very long time
    Great post thanx Al