Thursday Thirteen: Realizations

With the end of the year coming fast, I usually do a reflection blog…This year, I think it’ll just be over a few blogs, random tidbits here and there. So here are Thirteen Realizations I’ve had about myself & my life this year…

1- I have a VERY addictive personality. When I find something new, whether it be a game or an app on Facebook or anything else in my life, I get passionate about it and it becomes my obsession. It’s the same with a book, movie, TV show or anything else that might give me more than just a fleeting satisfaction.

2- As much as I love going back home and I feel whole…and I get homesick a lot, I don’t want to go back after I finish school. There is a LOT I want to do with my life and I want to make my life here in the US.

3- I have a lot of patience and in a lot of ways, I am stronger than I realize. When talking about some events in my life from over the last 4 years, it’s amazing how much people’s reactions give me something to think about. Not everyone could handle what I went through with as much patience apparently.

4- I am very easy going and don’t get offended easily. I let a lot of things slide but when I hit my limit, that’s it. That.Is.It.

5- I CAN’T fix everything that’s wrong with everyone I love in my life and I cannot make everyone happy but I sure as hell can try to make them smile at least once a day.

6- I have a lot of unresolved feelings in my past and those surface whenever I’m super stressed out in
my dreams.

7- If I don’t concentrate, I canNOT get shit done. Period.

8- My body’s giving out on me. I used to be able to stay up days in a row and still be functional. Now I’m lucky if I can go through the motions on a few hours of sleep.

10- I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do with my life because I want to accomplish a LOT.

11- I may not be where I want to be in my life at this point…but I’ve never given up. It may not feel like it to me but that’s an accomplishment.

12- I get frustrated very easily sometimes and when I do…sometimes…I throw temper tantrums. I do have the best friends who aren’t afraid to call me on it and snap me back to focus.

13- I have never felt this way but today, someone paid me the best compliment. She told me that I was born with the gift for writing. That is probably the best compliment anyone could ever give me. Now I just have to buckle down and keep writing.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!

What have YOU realized this year?

• Miss Attitude December 10, 2008, 7:58 pm

Wow, I can relate to a lot of these– but I think I like #5 the best. I’ve been struggling with feeling guilty for not helping people as much as I could– but as I told you the other day I have to take care of me first. But providing them with a smile or a laugh is a great idea.
    Thanks for sharing!

Miss Attitude’s last blog post..Thankyouverymuch! My next Starbucks visit will be better

• Adelle Laudan December 10, 2008, 8:40 pm

We are constantly evovling. It’s good you can make a list like this. You can’t change what you don’t acknowledge. I’d say you’re headed in the right direction. Happy Holidays!

Adelle Laudan’s last blog post..

• Nicole Austin December 10, 2008, 8:49 pm

Great idea for a list! I’m right with you on #7 & 8. Aging sucks. LOL!

Happy TT!

• Nicholas December 10, 2008, 9:01 pm

It’s very important to realize #5. Once that’s done, you can decide what you actually can fix, and do your best to do so.

Good list!

• colleen December 10, 2008, 10:02 pm

I can still fall in love with a baby.

You are on a roll.

• Bernie December 10, 2008, 10:08 pm

Interesting TT. I really enjoyed reading this one!

My TT Forbidden Fruit is up.

Bernie’s last blog post..13 Forbidden Fruit

• Carina December 10, 2008, 10:34 pm

I am a person who gets easily addicted to. It be a newsstory, a book, or just blogging…. for me, it’s def. not a good thing as often my obsession takes all my time!

Carina’s last blog post..How many marriages will I have in this lifetime?

• Miranda December 10, 2008, 10:50 pm

Great list! I can relate to alot of that.

Miranda’s last blog post..Thursday Thirteen #15

• jeannie December 10, 2008, 10:52 pm

Oh my goodness
    your #1 is “me”….. I could had wrote that myself…..

Happy T13
    Thanks for stopping by…..

• Betty December 10, 2008, 11:29 pm

I think it’s great that you’ve gotten to know yourself more. I always try to reflect on myself, I’m usually brutally honest with myself, but never critical. I have a personal motto, that my closest friends and family know about me, ‘As long as I’m better today than I was yesterday, and better tomorrow than I am today, however slight the improvement, I’m doing great!’ =)

Betty’s last blog post..TT#4: Fun Facts about Fairy Tales

• Punisher December 11, 2008, 8:32 am

#3 NO COMMENT!!! LMAO!!

• Cassie December 11, 2008, 9:50 am

I think the biggies for me were coping with one of my best friend’s death, meeting everyone at Carol’s 40th birthday party, and FINALLY getting to move out to my property!!! All the highs and lows other than these were pretty menial.

• perpstu December 11, 2008, 10:00 am

Wow! I can relate to so many of these! Take care of you and the rest will fall into place!

XOXOXO

• Just Jen December 11, 2008, 10:21 am

You’re brilliant…but you knew that already.

Love you

• MInTheGap December 11, 2008, 12:26 pm

I figured out this year that life changes, and that it’s better to trust God with those changes than to worry about the changes that will be made.

Hope you have a great T13!

MInTheGap’s last blog post..Glimpsed by the Baltimore Sun-100

• On a limb with Claudia December 11, 2008, 12:26 pm

I admire your courage to look yourself so square in the eye. I think these are wonderful things to realize and work toward. For me, the balance is understanding that each of these issues changes with time. Tomorrow, I am different from today. When you have kids, you might want to be home.

What did I realize? That I have deluded myself about my family.

On a limb with Claudia’s last blog post..Thursday Thirteen : What does your underwear mean?

• Alice Audrey December 11, 2008, 12:36 pm

I have that addictive reaction to games and interests too. My dh insists it isn’t addiction, it’s passion. I won’t argue. 🙂

Alice Audrey’s last blog post..Thursday Thirteen: Things That Went Wrong This Week

• Squish December 11, 2008, 1:07 pm

I’ve realized I am stronger than I ever think, that I’d rather enjoy music/food/movies/games than critique or evaulate them, and that I was wrong about love not being for me…maybe lol.

Squish’s last blog post..War Drums

• Jean December 11, 2008, 5:01 pm

The world might be a better place if everybody had your level of self-awareness. Nice list.

• Brenda ND December 11, 2008, 7:37 pm

Wow, you really seem to know yourself.

Brenda ND’s last blog post..The Body Speaks. And You Can Learn Its Language!

• mrwolf December 11, 2008, 8:40 pm

Thanks for sharing. Stress on #13, do keep writing. I always look forward to getting your posts in my inbox.

• Lynn December 11, 2008, 8:42 pm

Great post. Seems you are very level-headed.

Happy TT!

Lynn’s last blog post..Thursday Thirteen

• Bumbles December 11, 2008, 10:53 pm

It took me FOREVER to figure out #5 – so since you have done that already you are saving yourself so much grief going forward! It is tough to live by though. I don’t know what I’ve learned this year – will have to think on that – seems like an interesting exercise.

Bumbles’s last blog post..ON MUSIC ~ Rockin’ X-Mas Tunes…

• Ann Bruce December 16, 2008, 7:55 pm

Doesn’t #7 apply to everyone? Or shouldn’t it?

Ann Bruce’s last blog post..Ann-proof Door Locks