Leadership in Awareness

At first I wasn’t going to write a blog and just let one of my writers post her World AIDS Day blog here…and then this morning, I remembered an ad that I saw in Craig’s List a while ago.

It was a married man, looking for sex with another married man. It made me wonder. Would he tell his wife? Would he use protection? Did he find someone who was looking for the same thing? Did they even tell their wives that they were putting each other at risk?

Did they even care?

I could sit here and give you facts about the AIDS Epidemic. I could sit here and tell you about the ONLINE auction that raised $1000 in just 2 days last year. I could sit here and tell you about the 2000 ribbons I made for World AIDS Day when I was in high school.

Or I could just tell you this.

Sex doesn’t have to be reckless. Asking your partner to use a condom or asking a potential partner if they’ve been tested is not a shameful thing to do. It is the RESPONSIBLE thing to do. The fact is, you have a choice in your actions and the consequences of said actions belong to you and you only. Do you really want to leave your life in other people’s hands? Do you really want to risk a short lifetime of suffering for a fleeting pleasure?

Or do you want to live?

Because the fact is this. There are thousands of kids born every year with a consequence that does not belong to them because it wasn’t their choice but they have to suffer regardless. Those kids don’t have a choice.

You do.

Be responsible. Be aware. Be educated.

So educate yourselves:

Also check out the Awareness posts by the other PQ Nation Writers:
www.thepqnation.com/showandtell
www.thepqnation.com/pecosa
www.thepqnation.com/livingwicked

• Kevin December 1, 2008, 8:48 am

This is a subject and cause very dear to my heart as well. I posted a blog about it today too. Maybe our voices will be heard one day soon.

• Jaime December 1, 2008, 9:48 am

*applause* WELL said, sweetheart. I hope this blog gets a lot of attention today because the more people you reach the more people educate themselves.

xoxo

Jaime’s last blog post..Refrigerator Word Magnets & Other Things

• Whiteline December 1, 2008, 10:50 am

Nicely done. Education and awareness are so key in this fight. Thank you.

Whiteline’s last blog post..Thanksgiving Giving

• SimplyForties December 1, 2008, 11:09 am

Excellent article. Hopefully the message will get out.

SimplyForties’s last blog post..Herb Crusted Leg of Lamb with Garlic Roasted Baby Potatoes

• pecosa December 1, 2008, 2:20 pm

That’s what makes me angry about this issue. Careless people. They bring others into a situation they didn’t ask for. If you’re careless and it fucks you over, then it’s your fault, but what about the people that are affected because of your stupidity?

Excellent post, ma.

• LivingWicked December 1, 2008, 2:38 pm

Agreed.

It is not fair to have another persons carelessness affect our lives. People need to learn to have consideration for others again. We, as a society have become sexually selfish.

LivingWicked’s last blog post..I’m Positive.

• Ry-Guy December 1, 2008, 4:00 pm

Aww PQ I remember this time last year and I remember everything you have done for the cause. I dont know if your remember, but we did talk last year about why this is a subject that hits close to home. I know several people who made bad decisions and ended up in this boat. Its sad that they dont realize their mistakes until its too late.

(and i cant beleive you still have that pic! I totally forgot about it!)

• a.eye December 1, 2008, 6:01 pm

Great post. I really hope people are more safe with themselves. I don’t think there would be any stigma any more with asking some one to use a condom, but it seems that some people don’t use them still.

a.eye’s last blog post..Bloggers Unite for World AIDS Day 2008

• W December 1, 2008, 6:28 pm

This is an excellent, informative blog…

Nicely done.

Xo

• Ron December 1, 2008, 8:53 pm

You continue to rock.

And you’re mature way beyond your years.

xo

Have fun watching Heroes three hours before me. 😛

• kate December 2, 2008, 11:34 am

I think you can go to jail if you know you have AIDS and don’t tell your partner. I know you can take someone to civil court (or something like that; I’m not a lawyer) if they knowingly have an STD and never told you until after you had unprotected sex. I read an article where a woman took her husband to court because he had an STD and didn’t tell her he had it until after he gave it to her. He got it from cheating on her. Nice lil’ feel-good story for you; I just like to make people feel warm and fuzzy when I can lol