Hello my darlings! Since I started my new job, I figured it’d be an awesome way to let you know how I’m doing here if I just did my TT on the 13 Differences between this job and my old.
Without further ado:
1) Dress: Since this is a trade association, the dress here is business/business casual so no jeans EVER! Not even on Fridays…oh my poor hoodies…*sniff* I don’t have to wear a full on suit unless I have to attend a meeting or we have important people coming in that I’ll be interacting with so I can at least wear my purdy sweaters with my black pants or skirts.
2) Demographics: I just came from spending 2 years in an office of 10 people where the average age was above 40 and there was only one other woman. Now I’m in an office of 33-34 people and the dynamics and demographics have changed drastically. The 5-6 people that I interact with daily, I get along with. The others who are “junior staff”, I’ll be getting to know more at happy hour today.
3) Space: I have my own “office”…It’s not a full office with a door but it’s not a cubicle either. I LIKE MY OWN LITTLE SPACE! I can even see out the window of my boss’ office…lol
4) Benefits: Ohhhhhhhh the benefits here are awesome. Health,dental, vision and life insurance. On top of tuition reimbursement and metro fare (Well, only a little but better than nothing). They also have great policies on sick leave and vacation time so yay.
5) Salary: Obviously more. The best part is that I get overtime anytime I come in to set up a meeting or stay late.
6) Kitchen: I DON’T HAVE TO MAKE THE COFFEE!! HA! That is because the coffee makes itself…and there’s an awesome little coffee/hot chocolate machine right by my “office”…yummy…Which means…NO MORE STARBUCKS!
7) Computer: Yeah, so at my old job, my computer would take FOREVER to do ANYTHING. Here…one click and bam. Heh.
8) Programs: They use Office 2007 here…so I have to learn my way around all o’ that.
9) Outsourcing: At my old job, we outsourced basically everything. Here, every department I could need is in the office. From IT to accounting to website management, if I need help with anything, I can just pick up the phone and dial their extension.
10) Speaking of which, I don’t have to answer the phone anymore, ‘cept when I cover the receptionist’s breaks but there are 6 people in rotation for that so I don’t have to do it all the time. YAY!
11) Noise level…Yeah, there are a LOT of distractions here but it’s all good. We know I’m good at tuning things out.
12) This is a trade association dealing with energy, petrol and refining…and legislation. I’m in the government relations and communications departments so lots of interaction with the Hill, etc. Biiiiiiiiig leap from my old job.
13) Best part: I leave an hour earlier & still get paid more than my old job.
That’s about it…well, for the first 4 days anyway 🙂
FYI: I am now without a laptop at home and I obviously can’t visit a lot of blogs during the day. So my fellow TT buddies, please don’t be offended if I can’t make it to your blog…I will do my best to stop by this weekend when I’m at my cousin’s house if I can’t stop by today or tomorrow.
Remember: If you need to reach me during the day, you can always email me: email@example.com (Unless you have my gmail)
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants