Did you write a letter?

Listen, the hardest thing I’ve had to do in a very long time was to resign from this job. From the moment I got the offer, I’ve been thinking about the best way to handle this.

But it’s like ripping off a band-aid right? All of my friends had their opinions. “There’s no way they’re gonna let you stay the two weeks. They’re gonna kick you out”..and so on.

So I wrote the letter and I went into my boss’ office, asking him if he had a few minutes. Before even sitting down, I basically just told him that I was giving my two weeks notice. My hands shook as I told him about the opportunity and why I had to take it.

The words that came out of his mouth next weren’t the ones I was expecting.

“I’m VERY happy for you. I kind of knew this was coming.”

He looked at me and said “Awww…did you write like an official letter?” For a moment, I guess I forgot where I work…haha.

My bosses are very happy that I have this exciting opportunity because according to them, I’m too smart for this job (Well, duh) and they want to make sure that I take all the best steps for my future. See, unlike most employers, I’ve been lucky enough that my first full time job was at a company that accepted me like family. I was very relieved that they took the news in the best way possible and I will be here for 2 weeks, possibly training someone to take over for me.

What’s going to suck at my new job is…

1) I won’t be able to wear jeans or hoodies around the office. Oh or sneakers. Damn.
2) I won’t be able to take 2 hour lunches.
3) I won’t be able to work on my writing or my website as often as I do now.
4) I won’t be able to take time off on a day’s notice.

As comfortable and flexible as this office is, I have no idea what to expect from my new job. So 2 weeks from today will be the end of an era…

I might be frightened but I’ll move forward because life isn’t about being in a comfort zone.

Life is moving forward, even when it scares you.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!

• Sarahh October 31, 2008, 4:19 pm

Aw, it is just like when I resigned from my last job. I am so glad everything worked out ok. I won’t be online much more myself. Extra work duties.

So we will all gather at night!!

Congrats again!

Remember – watch your mail!

• Glyphrunner October 31, 2008, 4:21 pm

“See, unlike most employers, I’ve been lucky enough that my first full time job was at a company that accepted me like family.”

Oh, lord, you have never worked for family, have you? If you had, you wouldn’t be saying that comment. Working for family means they came make more demands of you, expect more work for less pay, and treat you much differently (often worse) than the regular employees.

I’m very happy for you and wish you the best of luck in your next job!

• Just Jen October 31, 2008, 4:22 pm

*HUGS*

Whenever you need some moral support you know where to find me

• Cassie October 31, 2008, 4:36 pm

SOMETIMES…life IS about being in a comfort zone. I LIKE my comfort zone!!! hahahahahah

Congrats, glad things went smoothly!

• WickedCourtni October 31, 2008, 4:53 pm

I am so happy it went well. But, I already told you I had a feeling he was expecting it.

• Gin October 31, 2008, 5:19 pm

Aww Honey! I am happy for your new job! I’m sure you will do just great. I’m still semi-looking and honestly, I’m going to miss the same things you are when I have to get a *real* job! But, we have to grow up some day and when we choose to live a professional life, we have to make sacrifices.

Congratulations again and I’m sure you will succeed in all you do.

• Jaime October 31, 2008, 5:20 pm

I love that you told them. I’ve left a few jobs (ok, so it was really only 3…) and each time my bosses were happy for me. Bummed for themselves, but happy for me.

I’m wicked happy for you. You might not feel like it, but you’re so brave.

• Melanie October 31, 2008, 5:24 pm

Congratulations!

• Kate October 31, 2008, 8:41 pm

Awww NO MORE GOOFING OFF ALL DAY ON PLURK

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA

(I’m seriously going to be bummed about that this weekend, but I’ll get over it lol)

• pecosa October 31, 2008, 9:33 pm

YAY, CONGRATS & LOVE YA!!!!!

• SSG Paul November 1, 2008, 10:58 am

First off, congrats on the new job. Second it’s always good to know that your bosses are willing to let you go for the betterment of your own life. Not everyone is willing to go through life in a dead end job. The only bad part about moving to a new job is leaving all your old friends at the old one.

Best of luck to you in the next two weeks.

• Pinky November 1, 2008, 4:55 pm

Congratulations mama, I had no idea, but I’m glad to see you are “moving on up” 🙂 You will be fabulous and I’m sure your new job will give you all the opportunities the other didn’t. Keep up the great work, oh and I will miss you being so available through out the day.

• Ron November 2, 2008, 6:26 pm

I’m glad it went well. Keep your eye on the big picture though. If you’re going to a big company, there’s going to be a lot of attitude adjustment. Things happen for a reason and not ALL of them are politically motivated.

Congrats, PQ. 🙂

• wovoka November 3, 2008, 3:04 am

All you can, and need to, do is handle your business. You’ll be fine, and everything will work out well.

You know where I am if you need an ear…:)

XO