I asked for it!

Two years ago, I stepped foot in an office without any idea what was waiting for me. I had just spent the previous 5 months recovering from the worst time of my life. I was used to being at two different jobs and school so I moved around a lot but never had I been responsible for one job for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Would I be able to handle it? I had no training because the woman I was replacing left on Friday and I began on Monday. “Here. This is what you have to do.”

Two years later, as much as I love the people that I work with, it’s time for me to move on. As an office manager here, my job has hit a plateau. I don’t work at a big organization that requires a lot of thinking on my toes. My biggest task during the year is to make sure all our clients get a gift basket. It was a good job at the time of my life when I started this job. Now, it’s time to make a move.

I wanted a job that will give me variety and excitement. The thing about not having finished my degree is that a lot of jobs have that as a requirement. Being 4 classes shy of my degree has hurt my chances with a lot of opportunities. Being just an office manager where half my skills aren’t being utilized hurt my chances on paper. I am now given an opportunity to work at a major trade association as an executive assistant.

In the town where the big guns rule, I’m going to be communicating with legislators on Capitol Hill, organizing conferences for our clients and putting together a daily alert with news clippings. I might even get to write testimonies and briefs…lots of communication, lots of research. I will be the key person to handle the details so my bosses can deal with the important stuff.

This is an amazing opportunity. It would be a lie to say that I am not terrified. I do thrive under pressure but I haven’t BEEN under pressure in the last two years. What if my instincts don’t kick in? What if my confidence falls through?

I almost considered turning down the job. For a split second.

I asked for this. I walked in with confidence and took it. I’ve been needing a change in my life and this challenge is exactly what that change should be. My hours are so that I can take night classes to finish up school and move on to my Master’s. The pay may not be FUCKING AMAZING, like some of the other jobs I checked out but there is room for me to grow. I have to remember that I have to take baby steps. There are things I want NOW…that I’ve been wanting for YEARS but I also know that I made choices in the past that I now have to clean up…and consider every step I take.

So here I am, sitting at my desk…listening to my boss talk on the phone with a client and I’m wondering how the hell I’m going to look him in the face and resign.

“With confidence”

With confidence.

What was your first full-time job? How have you handled resignations in your career? What have been some good opportunities that came your way that you didn’t take? Or did take and how did they affect you?

• Tinyshrimp October 29, 2008, 11:37 am

You made the right choice. You need this and I think you will be much happier. I’m soooo happy for you.

• Cassie October 29, 2008, 11:38 am

I’m still at my first full-time job…..not really, I guess that would have been Domino’s, but my first REAL job!!!! LOL

I handle resignation with my kind of style and grace. I just usually hand them the two weeks notice and walk away!! hahahahahahha

Unless i’m going to need them for references and then I am a bit more tactful!

• pecosa October 29, 2008, 11:47 am

I am incredibly proud of you and happy for you.

I know you’ll do great. With confidence. Just always remember that phrase.

As for your boss, resigning is always a hard thing to do. Especially if they didn’t see it coming. Just let him know it’s time for you to grow professionally and thank him for the amazing opportunity he gave you when he hired you, as true or untrue as that may be. You know he loves ya and it’s gonna sting to see you go.

My first full-time job was at a call center. It was easy to resign when I moved to Austin. My first real job that I truly loved, well, it was a bit harder and you know the situation I was in, but it was months in the making anyway.

• sorenj October 29, 2008, 12:00 pm

First of all, congratulations… sounds like a perfect job for you, with lots of room to grow!

My first real job was with Williams-Sonoma (HQ) in San Francisco, and I passed up an internship at NASA Aimes (sp?) to take it. It was one of the best choices I ever made. I would up being a floater in the accounting department, moving around to whatever department needed help and the overall experience I gained was amazing!

Resignations have always been hard for me as I have always forged friendships at my jobs with management, so it’s like saying good bye and severing a friendship… almost like breaking up from a relationship. What I learned from doing this repeatedly through my career though, is the most effective approach is to get it out there in the first sentence (even if it is messy) and then work on cleaning up the mess (if there i one) with the remainder of the conversation.

• Meka October 29, 2008, 12:07 pm

Thats good you found what you were looking for. Enjoy it and have confidence in yourself and your job and you will do great. My first full time job was in a restaurant and I hated it because it wasnt right for me. So now I am saving the money I am earning online to go to college and get a degree. Its always good to have a job you enjoy. Congrats and good luck.

• WickedCourtni October 29, 2008, 12:16 pm

You are more than able to do it with confidence. Any professional knows that sometimes people can grow out of positions. You have done that.

As long as you give him proper notice, and explain that you are doing this for your career, he will understand.

• Just Jen October 29, 2008, 12:48 pm

I’m proud of you.

Now dust off, get that letter penned and get ready to face a new day!

• Kate October 29, 2008, 2:52 pm

Ug, we really are twins. Big things in our lives are happening at the same time. Mine is career related too but there are other things that are happening, which is why I haven’t been very talkative lately. I’ve been mustering up how exactly to talk about it since it’s been happening so fast. It’ll all be explained when I get back to blogging though.

My first steady full time job was when I was a pharmacy technician. I didn’t want to be one forever because there’s no opportunities for advancement in that field, even if you’re working in a hospital. I actually considered becoming a pharmacist, but I cannot have anything to do with the health care systems in this country they way they are now. I just can’t, as much as the customers who had grown to love me hated to see me go, and there were a lot more than I thought there would be.

THAT is what sucks about working in any field of health care. When sick or invalid people grow dependent on you, start looking forward to seeing you, and you have to tell them they’ll probably never see you again. Awful.

xoxo

• Melanie October 29, 2008, 3:19 pm

Good for you! I’m sure you’ll rise to the challenges just fine. I’ve been with my attorney for over 20 years. I worry about when I finally leave this job (which I don’t plan on doing as long as he is practicing), if I will be able to do another job.

• Sarahh October 29, 2008, 4:13 pm

I can understand the fear. I always am hesitant at change. But once I get in there and thrive… There is no better feeling in the world.

Pat yourself on the back, you worked hard for it, now it is yours.

Congrats!!!

• wovoka October 29, 2008, 9:25 pm

I know we’ve already discussed this, but I do want you to know that I’m fully supportive of your website, so I’m gonna tell you here, as well:
    I am absolutely happy for, and proud of, you. I know how you feel about your current employer and the people with whom you work, and I know it’s hard to leave, but even more importantly, it’s necessary. You have to be a little selfish here, and not quite so selfless…do this for yourself and do it happily.

XO