โ‰ก Menu

Keep Your Eggs

I spent a great deal of time on Craig’s List, looking for jobs, etc. Yesterday, when I was searching on the job section again, I decided to click on “ETC” category just in case something slipped through the cracks. What drew my attention wasn’t the dog-walking nanny positions or the “No sex required escort” *coughyeahokcough* ads…Oh no, what drew my attention was the ads looking for egg donors.

I won’t even TOUCH on the subject of the specifications (Genetic engineering much?) or the difference in the prices provided for different ethnicities of egg donors. I began thinking about whether or not I’d be a good egg donor…and if I could handle it.

When talking about this subject three years ago with my best friend (*waves* Hi Meg!), the point she brought up was that I wouldn’t pass any of the psychological evaluations. It appears that I have some “Mommy” issues…and what couple wants their children to have MY genes? I mean…really. The world can’t handle another PQ-like dork. It would just throw off the entire balance.

Let’s say that I miraculously passed the psychological evaluation, assuming the psychoanalyst was even more disturbed than I am. The egg donation process requires the donor to undergo a hormone treatment for 7-10 days. Let’s stop and rewind. For those not in the know, I am a woman. That means, about once a month, my hormones go crazy as it is…which is assuming that I am a perfectly sane woman and it’s not TOO bad. The assumption that I am a perfectly sane woman is incorrect. I am a hormonal, neurotic mess on my non-PMS days. In fact, I think I PMS 28 days out of the 30 in a month. So the idea of inserting MORE hormones into my body is as scary as letting a child loose in a candy store. My mood swings would go from being every 10 seconds to every 3.24 seconds.

I don’t think so.

Let’s say, in a crazy world, I passed all psychological and physical evaluations and donated an egg to a couple who got pregnant. Naturally, I wouldn’t know who the couple is but it would irk me out that theres a mini-me that was mixed with other DNA running around somewhere on this earth. I mean, what if I have a kid down the line and he falls in love with the unknown mini-me…they get married, have a baby with 3 eyes and 5 nipples? How could I be responsible for that?!

Being the responsible, over-analytic insane person that I am, I will not be donating my eggs for $10,000. Besides, how can I do that when I am not even planning to have kids of my own? The world is better off without my offspring running around.

Would you ever consider donating your eggs? Men…how about you? Ever visit a sperm bank?

• Tinyshrimp October 15, 2008, 12:01 pm

I was agreeing with you up to the point that you said I could make $10,000 LOL

• Susan October 15, 2008, 12:16 pm

I think my friend should donate her eggs, she gets pregnant enough atleast this way with out her eggs she wont get pregnant and she will be making money for it

• Glyphrunner October 15, 2008, 12:16 pm

My wife looked into this. Her only reservation was the hormone treatment regimen, as well. She has spoken of doing this frequently over the last couple of years, and I totally support the idea, even without the $10k payment.

As for selling my guys? Sure, why not?! Something easy enough to do and make a bit of cash. We’re going to have continued procreation in this world anyhow, might as well let those that can’t or don’t want to do it naturally enjoy their bit of the world population growth.

• F-stop October 15, 2008, 12:20 pm

I think I have about a half-dozen grade A large I could spare…Anyway, for guys, it’s a lot more fun to donate…they give you this–um–inspiration.

Okay, seriously, I think it’s a terrific selfless gesture that could allow a couple to become parents when they otherwise would not be able to. I’m even in favor of surrogates, but you REALLY have to be emotionally strong for that.

• Jaime October 15, 2008, 12:48 pm

The funniest thing about this is that because of the topic of your post, all the ads on the right side of the screen are about becoming an egg donor and donor frozen eggs.

You really have a point though, with the mutated baby thing.

• Cassie October 15, 2008, 1:21 pm

ok–YOUR site is eating comments now? I posted once already, dangit!!!

SURE, why not? I ain’t using them!!!

• Jess October 15, 2008, 3:55 pm

For $10,000, you can have my foot. I don’t care.

• Kate October 15, 2008, 6:56 pm

I would only donate eggs if I were suddenly that desperate for the money. I’m hormonal enough.

• wickedcourtni October 16, 2008, 2:08 am

you bet your ass i would.

for less than 10,000. some people just cant produce, and if i qualified, i consider it a charitable donation to a loving couple in need of help creating a child together.

• Wovoka October 16, 2008, 2:21 am

I’m kind of partial to my “eggs” (read: Testicles…), but if they want my sperm, I may have some to spare…I’m just sayin’. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Melanie October 16, 2008, 2:33 pm

It would have to be someone that I knew. But I’m thinking my eggs are probably quite stale by now, so it’s moot.

• SpareYourEggs.com February 18, 2009, 11:55 pm

I can share my views as an egg donor. The pain was minimal for me despite hearing painful incidences of other egg donors before me. The reward was definitely satisfying in terms of emotionally & financially. I was giving away something that I don’t use anyway, and it’s a great relief to hear that couples could finally have their own child. I feel happy for them.

In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, egg donors get about RM4,000 for each successful procedure. I’m glad that i went with an experience fertility doctor, I was given constant attention & scans throughout the program. Everything turned out fine.

It took only 2 weeks for the whole process to complete, half day off to rest and then I collected my cheque the next day!!

Read more at http://www.SpareYourEggs.com