≑ Menu

Superfluous Spending

Did you know you could get a Juicy Couture track suit for your baby girl for only $200? ONLY $200 for a baby who won’t know the difference between Juicy and Target. $200 that you could be spending on better things for your child…like a trust fund for her college education.

“That’s going to be small for her”
“Well, the next size was in kids’ and that’s double the price”

Really? *I* don’t even spend $200 on a business suit for myself, let alone a track suit.

You know, I understand spoiling your kid or wanting them to have nice things but wouldn’t it make more sense to do it when she’s older and will actually appreciate it? Even then…do you really have to get the brand at full price when there are tons of opportunities to get it at a reduced price? Or *gasp* a knock off?

If you’re so obsessed with designer labels for your kid when they’re only a baby, don’t you think it’s going to get worse when she’s older? With plenty of media influence on kids to wear brands to “fit in”, shouldn’t parents be a little more responsible?

I don’t have any kids so I’d love to get insight from my friends who have children…I mean, I know that kids outgrow things FAST so I can’t be too off when I think that it’s impractical to spend so much money on a baby/toddler’s clothes.

• LivingWicked October 3, 2008, 2:57 pm

Um no.

Just like I rarely bought name brand tennis shoes for X up until about a year or so ago.

It is unrealistic and plain fucking stupid.

I have actually asked for a gift receipt from a friend who bought Charli something like that, and she would have only been able to wear it once. I exchanged it for store credit and got a bunch of shit on clearance and sales. I am not booj like that.

• Kate October 3, 2008, 3:17 pm

When Lexi is about 12, maybe 10, I’ll start buying her the occasional designer whatever for her bday and Christmas. Other than that, she’s going to have to work for the money for any extra “labels” she wants besides that. I have always managed to look cute from shopping at the cheapest places. You just have to know what you need to spend your money on and what you know you can buy cheap (such as a look that is only going to last one season; I never spend much money on stuff like that).

• Dre October 3, 2008, 3:30 pm

. . . I JUST bought my first pair of Jordans by my lonesome Wednesday lol. Why does a kid get a two hundred dollar track suit?? That’s insane! I was the overall kid! I was dressed up like a dork but damn was I a happy child lol. My Jordan’s even came from the Nike Factory Outlet so they were on sale 50 dollars cheaper. . I’m all for comfortable. Screw designer. .

• Melanie October 3, 2008, 4:40 pm

For my daughter’s third birthday, I did spend a bit on a dress. Unfortunately, shortly after that she decided that she no longer wore dresses. However, I still have it. I keep threatening her that she is going to have a girly girl and that the girly girl will like the dress!

• Elf Laurie October 3, 2008, 5:56 pm

I have NEVER bought designer anything for my kids!! It’s a total waste of money that could be well spent somewhere else.

Now that my daughter is 17, and has a job, she buys her own designer stuff…..and honestly, she appreciates it more because it’s her money she’s using. (she has also figured out that clothes are clothes, and most people dont notice ‘the brand’ on things)

xoxo

• Ron October 3, 2008, 7:26 pm

If I had kids, they’d be wearing MY clothes, just taken in and shortened.

I’d save all the superflous money for the dogs πŸ™‚

• Pinky October 3, 2008, 10:41 pm

It’s crazy to buy children designers clothes, but that’s just me. My child may get an outfit or two that are overly priced but I wouldn’t see myself doing that on the regular, besides my man wouldn’t have it πŸ™‚

• Serenity October 4, 2008, 12:12 am

My son (now 14) never even went shopping until about the 5th grade! He got hand-me-downs from my friend at work whose son was just a little older than him. He was always excited when we got the “shopping bags” from her, just like a birthday gift or Christmas. The first time we went to a department store to shop, he was SHOCKED that people actually tried things on in the dressing rooms. It was too cute! Now, if he wants something name brand, HE already knows he needs to look at clearance racks or outlet stores. He’s as excited as I am when he finds something on SALE and can brag that he got that $100 pair of shoes for $25! I’m such a proud parent.

• sancho8297 October 6, 2008, 1:14 pm

I have to totally agree. Responsible parenting goes so far, and in the long run saves a lot of work and money with your kids. I’m glad you posted about this, because for everyone on here that agrees with you about not over-spoiling your kids, there are 3 others out there that do nothing but that. Hopefully they stumble across your blog and get the opportunity to learn a few things.

• Soap Star Katelynn Lavergne October 6, 2008, 6:30 pm

Ugh…. WHY didn’t they tell me that BEFORE my daughter turned 7? I would have LOVED to spend that much money on an outfit that would only last my daughter 2 months….