≑ Menu

What is this, the stone age?!

As a full time student and administrative assistant, I’ve been using the computer for more than 9 years. Moreover, I’m so good with all the Microsoft Office applications that I can find my way out of ANYTHING. If I can’t, no worries. That’s why the oompa-loompas invented the internetz! So, when I get a call from a job who want me to take an online evaluation of my skills before my interview, I think “Oh I got this bitch!” because let’s face it. I rock. I also breathe Microsoft Word.

So I happily go to the link provided in the email, log in and crack my knuckles. Let’s rock this!

But wait. Is that a typo? Are my eyes blurry? ARE THEY KIDDING ME? Before me, the screen reads “Microsoft Word 2000 Evaluation”

2000? THIS IS 2008. I take a deep breath and begin the test.

First all of all, the menus and shortcuts that I would have conveniently placed on my toolbar so I don’t waste precious time while working are nowhere to be found on this test! And the menus are outdated. HOW the hell am I supposed to survive through 4 of these tests? (Excel, Word, PP, Outlook). As if THAT wasn’t enough, the first 10 questions have me bold, underline, italicize, center, change the font, change the font size and change the font color. *cough* I can do that in my SLEEP. Are there seriously people out there applying for EXECUTIVE assistant jobs, as in “I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure that the president of a company with 150 employees has a smooth day”, wouldn’t know how to bold text?

*bangs head on keyboard*

So it’s very likely that I may have missed a couple of questions. Do you know why? Because I know the programs TOO well. As someone who loves convenience, I know all the shortcuts but no, to qualify for a job, I have to do it step by step. *sighs*

I mean, really. Of course, as if that torture wasn’t enough, I had to do a friggin typing test. So my WPM count is high but come on. The errors that I might have on there shouldn’t bring my word count DOWN. Just because the stupid test won’t let me backspace and fix an error…*rolls eyes*

Maybe I should just go back to counting change at the checkout register. But then I’d fail the “situation” tests…

• pecosa September 9, 2008, 5:54 pm

LMAO! Sorry…

But yes, there are still archaic companies out there (the one I work for being one of them) that not only test on 2000, but use it day to day as well. (yes, seriously, I just checked, it’s 2003)

• pecosa September 9, 2008, 6:04 pm

hehe, try 2,750 employees. Yeah.

• PrincessQ September 9, 2008, 8:35 pm

Between 85-90 wpm

• Just Jen September 9, 2008, 5:58 pm

Absolutely detest these tests. Who uses menu pull downs anymore? And some of them have the most obscure questions on things you will rarely, if ever use. I’m Microsoft certified and I still suck at those things…why? because certification lets you use shortcuts.

• PrincessQ September 9, 2008, 8:34 pm

Yikes!

• Tiny Phoenix September 9, 2008, 6:35 pm

Just how fast *do* you type? I like competition that way.

• PrincessQ September 9, 2008, 8:35 pm

It really is. It seriously made my head hurt taking those tests.

• wickedcourtni September 9, 2008, 7:12 pm

that is crap.

i think is is really silly that they administer these tests anymore. especially the out dated ones.

• PrincessQ September 9, 2008, 8:35 pm

I’m Elf Flintstone of course…LOL

• Sarahh September 9, 2008, 7:38 pm

I had to do that once. I also had to take some sort of aptitude test for my current job.

But, don’t forget, it could be worse.

They could ask you what elf you are. πŸ˜‰

• NetCop September 9, 2008, 9:30 pm

Huked On Foniks Wurked Fer Meh!

• Kate September 9, 2008, 9:30 pm

I just learned how to make an HTML link…and I think I need you to help me update my wordpress lol πŸ˜€

• Glyphrunner September 16, 2008, 4:03 am

Of all the things, I work at a “technology” company. We provide short- and long-term weather forecasts, maintenance decision support, etc. to highway departments. For this, we built custom systems and operating systems. Obviously, we need a strong programming corp to accomplish this.

Oddly enough, these programmers do not work on anything but UNIX based machines. Try getting them to work in any sort of MS product and you’ll see people go into seizures. Today was a wonderful opportunity to see this happen!

One of them had to go assist the CFO on something. There seemed to be a problem with Word. After about 10 minutes of tinkering around, he threw his hands up in disgust and said to just reboot the damned machine. I went over and hit the wonderful Ctrl+Alt+Del and saw that one of our homegrown programs was chewing up all of the resources. I quit that process and Word instantly started working perfectly fine.

As much as we poo-poo some people for being behind the times or not well enough technologically inclined, there are always those that are on the other end of the spectrum. They have become so ingrained in their technology that they cannot see past their own bias of “my version is better and why can’t you just use it?” We all become accustomed to something.

I’d recommend taking the tests, but then inform the HR person that they need to see a true example of your skills. Perhaps tell them that this could be a key to employment: improving their office workflow and efficiency!